AIR FORCE VETERAN

A place where Military Veterans with Ostomies and Diversions can discuss items of common interest.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ostomate+99

AIR FORCE VETERAN

Post by ostomate+99 »

Hi, my name is Gary, I was referred by Jane Walker, Greater atlanta UOA. I have a ileostomy since 1999. I use the Atlanta VA for my care. I would love to communicate with other veterans. I am a Vietnam Vet I retired in 1985, after 22 yrs Hope to communicate
Mike ET

Re: AIR FORCE VETERAN

Post by Mike ET »

Hello, Air Force!

Jane Walker and I are both old timer ileostomates and ETs. Jane has me beat by a decade or so, but between us we have over a century of experiences as ostomates and ETs. How's that for history?

Incidentally, my ileostomy is compliments of the US Navy, or as I like to say: Pot luck, USN.

Welcome aboard and make sure the VA meets your needs and not the other way around. I write this because over many decades I have had to regularly reeducate the staff at the varying VA centers about meeting the unique needs of ostomates and not lumping them all into the same pouch or management routines.

Cheers,

Mike ET (USN retired)
ostomy can present an identity crisis of image and function, and require tradeoffs.
ostomate+99

Post by ostomate+99 »

Hi, Mike, thanks for the message. I was a Air Force Corpsman during the Vietnam era. When I was assigned to Clark AB in the Phillipines, I seen alot of potential ostomates from war wounds. And when I was in Vietnam we evacuated alot of potential ostomates to Clark. I have a ileostomy due to ulcerative colitis after retirement from the military, I thought it was Agent Orange related, but the VA said no, but I am service-connected for Gastritis, secondary to ulcerative colitis, and they help me with my supplies. I am well versed in pouching procedures and wound care from my military corpsman training. When I was in Okinawa, at Kadena, I worked at the Navy hospital, Camp Kue, and took some Navy Medical courses. Stay in touch-----Gary (E-7 USAF retired)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hello Gary;

Welcome to the site.

I am a Retired Marine Aviator, Helo Pilot/Vietnam Era. I retired in 1985, same year as you did.

I am glad that Jane referred you to this site. She is a wonderful lady and has touched so many lives, including my own. She deserves Sainthood in my opinion.

One of the things that UOAA is attempting at this time is to rty to establish mopre Ostomy support Groups in the VA Medical system. The big problem is simply getting a foot in the door, as they are extremely busy people. If you have any contacts. Especially among the WOCN Staff or the colorectal Surgery staff. Put in a good word for us. We would love to discuss the possibilities with them and get the local ASG's a bit more involve din that regard.

Glad you are with us Gary, and when you see Jane give her my regards.

Jimbob
ostomate+99

Post by ostomate+99 »

HI, Jimbob, thanks for the message. i seen Jane at our local ostomy meeting on 03-11-12, and I told her you had sent me a welcome note, she was glad, and said you were a great guy. i sent the WOCN Nurse at the VA here in Atlanta some info about this site, and a copy of the Phenix Magazine, but as usual no response. I also talked to the person in the outpatient pharmacy at the VA about sending out some flyers about this site when he mails out ostomy supplies to veterans in the atlanta area, he stated that had to be approved from VA management because of privacy issues. I will continue to contact the WOCN here to see what she can do--------Take Care-----Gary
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I am not a Vet but I do bridle when someone in a medical facility says they can't give support info to a patient because of privacy(HIPPA) issues. HIPPA says nothing of the kind. It does say a medical person cannot give a patients info to an organization without their permission. Does a facility give a patient info from the American Cancer Society, Diabetes Association or the Heart Association? Of course they do. Offering info to a patient is not giving a patients info to that organization.
Steve
Ileostomy in 1990 for UC.
The mind wobbles.......
Mike ET

Post by Mike ET »

Colleagues and Vets,

Welcome to the wonderful worlds of bureaucratic inertia and unintended consequences. Steve is exactly on point regarding the confusion surrounding HIPPA as well as the misguided interpretations of such laws. As my Veteran colleagues know all to well, the organizational mindset is like a big battleship, slow to maneuver but very powerful as a constraining force.

Informing existing and potential patients of the existence and benefits of lay ostomy organizations is one of the longstanding underpinnings of the enhanced rehabilitation that could derive from affiliation with UOAA and related support groups. How ironic, indeed, that the impetus for the development of lay ostomy organizations and the eventual birth of both UOAA and WOCN arose from the interactions in the 1940's of a few vets from the old Valley Forge Military Hospital and lay ostomates from the Philly region who laid the groundwork for ongoing rehabilitation and counseling of the newly minted ostomates.

Mike ET
ostomy can present an identity crisis of image and function, and require tradeoffs.