Ostomy In the Marine Corps

A place where Military Veterans with Ostomies and Diversions can discuss items of common interest.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Sirjic

Ostomy In the Marine Corps

Post by Sirjic »

Hey Guys, great board, Wanted to post a question Im having trouble raking info on...
It Involves Our beloved corps and u guessed it ostomy.
Little Background on me 8 year marine 0352.
After Sucking up bleeding out of places i shouldn't be bleeding we eventually figured out i had UC
It started as proctosigmoiditis and eventually to pancolitis and needed surgical intervention.
Nowwwww... I went thru the whole limdu process and eventually needed to get TDRL'd and received the surgery.
While we tried a jpouch, infections and abscessess later we scratched the pouch and went for terminal ileostomy.
Three years after my seperation date and fight of my life later I am finally able to walk, run, hike, swim, shoot, fight....
I have never felt better in my life. ANY and ALL UC symptoms have disappeared and ive been regularly screen for crohns( biopsies and such)
At my last TDRL appointment the GI doc was amazed why I was in his office, Ileostomy and all he couldn't see why i couldnt do anything necessary for active duty.
My goal is to become worldwide deployable again with a victor unit
Any Advice is welcome but anyone that can chime in on the most worrisome step to me is greatly appreciated. this step is the PEB board finding me fit for duty, I have a gut feeling that i am going to need to convince some old guys somewhere that in the bionically modified condition that im in now, I am as if not more capable of completing the ever important mission, whatever that may be. I am very early in the process now but I have failed in finding any precedent for marines with ostomies serving on the front lines.
I need advice as to what information I can put in front of my doctors to point to seeing that active duty with a ileostomy is possible so that they can write their observations and opinions, and who i need to put these opinions in front of, and who do i need to buy jelly donuts for on what day so that their mood is just that much better when they see my packet.
I really feel that if i dont take point on this issue it will not have the results i desire.
Thnx to all
Mike ET

Re: Ostomy In the Marine Corps

Post by Mike ET »

OK, eight year Marine.

A few housecleaning items to consider:

1. Refer to this link regarding the Prometheus test
https://www.ostomy.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 90#p186452

2. In order to more accurately characterize and confirm your exact type of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), the use of the Prometheus Test, and especially its most current iteration, will help to establish the most accurate description of your inflammatory bowel disease. For example, if the results come back for ulcerative colitis (UC) then your surgery can be rightly be viewed as curative. If, however, the results come back pointing to Crohn's disease or indeterminate colitis your arguments for a cured state post ileostomy are not so strong and may give pause to hesitate on placing you back into full front line service - with Crohn's disease the ability to predict or anticipate flareups is quite nebulous and presents some serious risks going forward.

3. Bother to know the full extent of terminal small bowel that was removed or detoured secondary to the failed internal pouch. I offer this concern because the issue of B-12 absorption is compromised if more than the last 60cm of small bowel is not available. While other methods of B-12 ingestion or treatment can be offered, it is still helpful to know whether or not you are lacking the ability to utilize or absorb this vitamin on your own. Chronically low or absent levels of B-12 can lead to serious medical issues that will affect one's overall well being and functioning.

4. Be aware that the risks for postoperative bowel obstructions do exist for those who have had extensive abdominal surgeries. Ask for your operative records and have them reviewed by your surgeon or GI doctor to give you a clearer picture of your likelihood for bowel obstructions secondary to post operative adhesions.

These are just a few examples of the housekeeping topics I would want to have squared away before making a case for full reintegration.

Good luck,

Mike ET
ostomy can present an identity crisis of image and function, and require tradeoffs.
Dion Hice

Re: Ostomy In the Marine Corps

Post by Dion Hice »

I served 12 years in the Army and i was retired because of Crohns. I think the issue here is you believe that you can do anything and I agree with you I am 4 years post op and i am fine, I am a polce officer and I can do anything. What the service is going to look at is who has an ostomy still on active duty. For the Army that answer on none. infact you really can't be in the army because if you can't deploy your done. To tell you the truth You really don't need to deploy becaues its dirty and with what we have it's not safe for your health. I know a guy who was in the Marines and he just had is 9th Surgery to repairr what the Marine Dr. did. He has 9 surgerys has a Per. Ostomy and they just took his rectum out and sewed him up. From all this the Marine Corps refuse to place him on per. reirement. He is only getting 80% from the VA and is in and out of the hospital. I am telling you this to inform you that you need to be careful and because your feeling good stay that way take the retirement and do something you really want to. I thank you for your service