Active Duty Air Force

A place where Military Veterans with Ostomies and Diversions can discuss items of common interest.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Dbry2007

Active Duty Air Force

Post by Dbry2007 »

Hello,

My name is David and I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis. I was diagnosed one year ago after returning from a deployment to afghanistan. I am currently going through a Medical Evaluation Board to determine my future. I am not entirely sure this is the right place to be asking about ostomys but I figured why not. I just want to know if anyone else has dealt or is dealing with the same thing I am. I am currently considering to have the ileostomy surgery, but I think that it would definitely end my military career. I have been in for 5 years and am an E5. I want to finish my 20 years of service but I dont think that will happen now. If anyone has some advice on this subject I am all ears. Thank you for any replies.
Rotorhead

Re: Active Duty Air Force

Post by Rotorhead »

I'm not sure how USAF MEBs go, but for USN, the "non-medical assessment" from your CO/unit commander is a good place to let your intentions known. I wanted to stay in the service and made sure that in the NMA it was stated clearly as my goal...in fact, I wrote the NMA for my boss and requested he forward it up the chain - I eventually got a FOGO bottom line, which I believe made a difference.

Not only have I been retained for full duty but I have gotten my flight status reinstated. Every case is different - but you have to be your own strongest advocate, no one else will do it, and many in the medical side assume you want to get out with disability vice stay in.

Good luck
RH
CRC, finishing chemo Sep 08
http://rotorheadsblog.blogspot.com/
Mike ET

Post by Mike ET »

Hello, Vets.

The military is much more amenable to keeping folks in rather than quickly separating them out of active service because of serious medical or surgical histories. Once one can prove their continuing fitness for active duty then one is more likely to be retained. Therefore, the goal is to get your disease either under control or removed and achieve full rehabilitation as an ostomate.

When I had my diagnosis of ulcerative colitis in 1965 while on active service and a permanent ileostomy while on temporary disability status, I was not permitted to remain in the service and was "boarded" out. I really did not want to be mustered out but I was not given any choice.

Good luck,

Mike ET
ostomy can present an identity crisis of image and function, and require tradeoffs.
Dion Hice

Post by Dion Hice »

I have a permanent Ostomy and I wasn't give a choice. I recieved 100% retirement and VA I was labled as a service connected disability. I got sick while in Iraq and was sent home due to bleeding. I am doing good but I have seen it go both ways. I had Crohns and that is way different than UC. There are many different things they can do for you so yeally surf you options, Get a second and look a University hospital not the Airforce to do the surgery.