How long did you wait for reversal surgery?

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
wsh6745

How long did you wait for reversal surgery?

Post by wsh6745 »

I had a loop ileostomy on Jan 24th. My surgeon said the minimum reversal time is 6 weeks but may end up being 8-12 weeks. I was wondering how long everyone had between their original surgeries and the reversal surgeries and what the benefits are for waiting longer, if there are any, Or if there is anyone out there who had the takedown surgery/reversal done in 6-8 weeks, how did it go? Thank you. I am hoping all goes well and I can have the reversal surgery at 6 weeks but I'm not quite sure what exactly that would mean.
UC since 2009
anadevi

Re: How long did you wait for reversal surgery?

Post by anadevi »

Your loop ileostomy was performed to protect the bowel following the resection surgery you had, so it has to remain until the surgeon feels comfortable that adequate healing has taken place. This could be four weeks or it could be three months.

You cannot assume because person X had their's reversed at 4 weeks it would be safe or appropriate to do so in your case therefore.
Mazzy

Post by Mazzy »

Hi guys I'm also waiting for my reversal had my colon out in November 2013. Just need some advice re j pouch, I still have my rectum can it just be connected with j pouch? So confusing. Thanks
fejz

Post by fejz »

Hello Everyone,

I have had an ileostomy for 7 years and I am scheduled for a take-down.

Am I insane? The ostomy is fine, just don't like having it. My doctor gives me a 60 - 40% chance of success.

What do you think?
longrider

Post by longrider »

I am also thinking of a reversal. I had a loop preformed when I was 22. I am now 46!!! I am going in for a colonoscopy next month so my current Gastro can take a look inside. The loop was preformed when under the care of another Gastro in another state. He thinks there is a chance for a reversal, though it may be wishful thinking at this point. Anyways, not having been "connected" for 24 years makes is a very scary to change back. Any thoughts from other long term reversal's would be very much appreciated!
Thanks
Eugenia17

Post by Eugenia17 »

I don't know if this applies to your situation or not, but all the surgeons and doctors told my husband and me that waiting a long time before reversal was fine because the body heals and when you get reconnected it only matters that your colon has healed. I realize that is not exactly medical terminology, but that was what we understood. We have waited almost two years when it was supposed to have been 4 weeks. I totally understand how you feel after such a long time of having your ostomy.
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

A great range of waiting times from 4 weeks to over 20 years possibly!
My ileostomy was reversed 14 months after my original surgery.
My surgeon said that waiting too much longer would lessen the chance of the colon relearning its old job (absorbing water for one thing). I've no idea if he had the correct idea or not.
My reversal was unsuccessful for other reasons (damage to the sphincter muscles due to surgery and radiation - I had rectal cancer.)
Good luck everyone,
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013
auntieoftwo

Post by auntieoftwo »

I just had my second reversal surgery one week ago. I had diverticulosis with an abdominal abscess. My adventure began in 10/2013.

1/2014 I had surgery to remove the bad part of my colon and woke up with a colostomy.

6/2014 I had my colostomy takedown surgery. The takedown was performed but I woke up with an ileostomy. My surgeon performed a loop ileostomy on me.

8/2014 I had the ileostomy takedown surgery.

Timing between surgeries really depends on the original diagnosis and how much time your colon needs to heal.
suma2014

Post by suma2014 »

Today is the first day I am browsing this site - since I was gogling for others' experiences. I am sort of dreading the after effects of take down surgery scheduled in about 10 days - have had ileostomy about 19 months ago - due to rectal cancer after oral chemo and radiation. Stoma care, managing ostomy pouches is not bad - being a vegetarian and addicted to snacks (cookies, chocolate, nuts, etc-) and a good appetite, keeping to suggested diet is very difficult - so causes a lot of gases, ballooning of the bags. The part of the abdomen under the stoma has swelled up, now sort of shows thru' clothes. Also, occasionally a small drop of blood appears on top of the stoma. Don't know if this is normal. I canceled this take down six months ago preferring the bags to take-down; the cancer has metastasized to the lung - had a spot in one lung last year - cyberknifed it, this year another showed up in right lung . So don't know how I will handle cyberknife for the lung spot after the take down surgery. Found support and comfort in reading other fellow patients' experiences. Thank you
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

Welcome suma2014 to this discussion group. Sorry to hear about your lung metastases. As I mentioned in a post above (in this thread) my reversal was unsuccessful due to radiation and/or surgery damage to the sphincter muscles. My tumour was close to the end of the rectum. Do you know where your tumour was? The closer to the anus, the more damage to the sphincter muscles as I understand it. All the best,
TGH
ps Ocasionally I have small drops of blood appearing near the stoma-skin interface. I don't worry about it.
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Vet17

Post by Vet17 »

If I have the J pouch procedure will I still have to use the ostomy bag and for how long?what is the success rate.and is "take down "surgery the same thing as the jpouch?
SandyRN0224

Post by SandyRN0224 »

I waited 7 years. I was traumatized from my initial colostomy surgery (long story) and I had a huge hernia that needed to be repaired and that scared me as well. I was having blockage after blockage and I was losing weight way too fast from all the vomiting and npo trying to get the blockages to pass. We finally got it all set up with the general surgeon for the hernia repair and my colo-rectal surgeon for the take down and it was done 8/3/2016. Doing pretty well now. Sure beats NG tubes and TPN/lipids in the crazy extended hospital stays trying to get me healthy enough for this big surgery. I'm glad I did it. I feel like a new person. No more huge hernia and I'm able to poop the "normal" way.
Last edited by SandyRN0224 on 2016-11-07 12:21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Emergency colo for rupture 4/18/09
Crohn's. takedown/hernia repair 8/3/16
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

Welcome to the discussion group, Vet17.
Take down surgery, also known as reversal is getting rid of the stoma and ostomy bag and reconnecting the intestines so that, once again, ones output exits via the anus. I'm not familiar with J pouches. The success rate for reversals depends on many many factors, including the reason one needed the ostomy in the first place.
All the best,
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
bluebird

Post by bluebird »

Thank you, SandyRN, for posting your story. I too have a large hernia and an ostomy (one year now), resulting from a very bad reaction to my one and only chemotherapy for breast cancer. My surgeons have described an extremely difficult surgery to repair the abdominal wall and take down of the ostomy. Highly likely serious complications after the surgery. I have decided to postpone the surgery until I am sure I want to go through this ordeal. Thanks to your posting, I feel more confident it's OK to wait months or even years. Glad to hear your life is back to normal.
SandyRN0224

Post by SandyRN0224 »

Please please be careful tho. I didn't have hernia that whole time. I had a small one that gradually grew into at least a large cantaloupe size. The blockages that I had could have killed me. I spent over a year risking a lot bc I was afraid of the surgery. I was in and out of the hospital with ct scans and ng tubes. It can be so dangerous to wait with a large hernia. Please think seriously about finding your TEAM that will fix you. A general surgeon that specialized in hernias and an excellent colo-rectal surgeon. You need to be prepared. I see now you say you have surgeons but if they're not ok with this surgery there always is that pair of outstanding surgeons. I know, because I found mine.

You need a barium enema and a colonoscopy. They can do the scope on the OR table tho. But your doctor might want it done beforehand.

I wish I hadn't waited so long. I was lucky. Very lucky. Good luck to you and please, if you have questions send me a private message. Hugs!!
Emergency colo for rupture 4/18/09
Crohn's. takedown/hernia repair 8/3/16