Veterans ostomy Outreach Network (VON) assistance

A place where Military Veterans with Ostomies and Diversions can discuss items of common interest.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Mike ET

Veterans ostomy Outreach Network (VON) assistance

Post by Mike ET »

Fellow and Fella vets,

I have been asked to assist with the Veterans ostomy Outreach Network (VON). To help me get a better handle on the current players I need from you the names and contact information of anyone within the VA or military facilities that have an active interest in working with UOAA and veterans ostomy rehabilitation efforts. If you can provide me with the names and contact information of those who are willing to assist, or can provide them with my direct email address I would be pleased.

The rules or guidelines of the discussion forums do not permit direct listing of email address within the body of the posts; therefore, use the private messaging or mailing options to keep me apprised.

Thanks,

Mike ET
retired USN
ostomy can present an identity crisis of image and function, and require tradeoffs.
Dave-Mead

Re: Veterans ostomy Outreach Network (VON) assistance

Post by Dave-Mead »

I am using the VA currently. I am in the Tucson area. Not sure what good I might be to you. Also, because of my condition, not sure for how long I may be able to help.
Mike ET

Post by Mike ET »

Dave-Mead,

What I am hoping to obtain are names and contact information of any folks within the VA system you know that are willing to refer their ostomy vets to the UOAA website and to help promote a better working or referral relationship between the VA and the UOAA and affiliated local ostomy groups. My overall goal is to find out how who within the VA and military hospital systems are ready, willing and able to more actively refer veterans with ostomies to the benefits of the UOAA and affiliated support groups.

Then intent of the UOAA and veterans ostomy outreach network (VON) was and still is to be able to capture those veterans in need of ongoing support and advice beyond the institutional settings of the VA and military hospitals. The long term desires and needs of the ostomate do not end with one's time of service or acute hospitalization periods. Life long acceptance and adaptation to an ostomy lifestyle takes place well beyond the period of ostomy creation.

Mike ET
ostomy can present an identity crisis of image and function, and require tradeoffs.
Mike ET

Post by Mike ET »

Veteran Colleagues,

I am still awaiting replies from a couple of VA employed physicians and nurses.

Building on my initial requests to you to have names and contact information of willing VA and military medical facility ostomy rehab workers provided to us, is it not possible and doable for each of us to recall who had a hand in assisting your ostomy rehabilitation either as inpatient or as an outpatient.

If we do not get meaningful numbers and feedback from the VA and military facility communities I am not sure we can do much to foster a viable and enduring UOAA veterans ostomy outreach network (VON).

Since ostomy still remains the hidden and less desirable disability within the general public mindset, it follows that it also remains a hidden topic among the warrior ranks. I wonder if we at the UOAA could not broach an affiliation or working effort with some of the more recent veteran support entities, like Wounded Warriors and the like, to help garner more awareness and support for the UOAA attempts to assist the ostomy veteran? Give it some thought and let me know if I am onto something or if it has already been tried.

Thanks,

Mike