Iry Pump

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
NEgirl

Iry Pump

Post by NEgirl »

Has anyone ever heard of or used an iry pump by Braun? Looks convenient but I am a little nervous about pumping water in rather than letting it flow naturally as it does from the bag. It promises 48 hours between irrigations. They must be pricey because I have not been able to find any prices or where to buy.

Cautiously seeking info if anyone knows about this product.

Thanks,

Karen
Rectal cancer 11/08
Colostomy 2/10
Mets to R lung 4/11
Mets to L lung 7/12
markstan

Re: Iry Pump

Post by markstan »

Interesting find. Was not aware of it but it is not clear to me what problem it solves over the traditional gravity feed method. One downside is that it would be a problem to travel with.
Dx 6/10 Rectal CA
NEgirl

Post by NEgirl »

It looked appealing to me because it takes so long for me to infuse. The video shows it pushing the water around a firm stool that may be in the way. I don't travel much so that would not be a big factor. It's the pressure that concerns me.

Hoping some other will give opinions on this.

Karen
Rectal cancer 11/08
Colostomy 2/10
Mets to R lung 4/11
Mets to L lung 7/12
markstan

Post by markstan »

NEgirl wrote:It looked appealing to me because it takes so long for me to infuse. The video shows it pushing the water around a firm stool that may be in the way. I don't travel much so that would not be a big factor. It's the pressure that concerns me.

Hoping some other will give opinions on this.

Karen
How much do you infuse and how long does it take? What do you believe to be the limitation on the rate of infusion?
Dx 6/10 Rectal CA
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

That's interesting. To me it doesn't seem like enough of an improvement over the traditional method. Maybe even more of a hassle with equipment to clean and definitely not travel friendly. If you have trouble infusing with gravity you may still have trouble even with a pump. I'm just guessing though, based on my experience with intravenous infusions using gravity vs an iv pump. If there is something blocking free flow the pump won't work. This is just a thought. It could be entirely different. I'm interested to hear if anyone has tried it.

Lisa
Lisa
3/14 stage III Rectal cancer
Chemo/Radiation
1/15 APR Colostomy
markstan

Post by markstan »

Lisa wrote:That's interesting. To me it doesn't seem like enough of an improvement over the traditional method. Maybe even more of a hassle with equipment to clean and definitely not travel friendly. If you have trouble infusing with gravity you may still have trouble even with a pump. I'm just guessing though, based on my experience with intravenous infusions using gravity vs an iv pump. If there is something blocking free flow the pump won't work. This is just a thought. It could be entirely different. I'm interested to hear if anyone has tried it.

Lisa
These people have used it.

http://www.apparelyzed.com/forums/topic ... n-the-usa/
Dx 6/10 Rectal CA
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Thanks Mark, interesting.
Lisa
3/14 stage III Rectal cancer
Chemo/Radiation
1/15 APR Colostomy
markstan

Post by markstan »

A comment on irrigation pressure. If the bottom of the irrigation bag is 3 ft. Above your stoma then the applied pressure is 1.45 psi or 1/10 of an atmosphere. This is most likely an upper limit and a more typical distance is probably 2ft. Resulting in 1 psi applied pressure. I have not found the applied pressure range of the Irypump S. But we may be able to guess it based upon infusion times with unit. It takes me about 8 min to infuse wth a 2 ft. Distance with the gravity method.
Dx 6/10 Rectal CA
NEgirl

Post by NEgirl »

Thanks Marksman and Lisa. I have not red all the posts on the site you gave Mark but I will. My infusion problems have always been sporadic. Water will flow well for a couple of minutes then just stop or start coming out around the cone. If I remove the cone for a second sometimes a small stool will come out. Then it is harder to get the cone back in and more often than not the water is still not flowing. So I wait and then try again. Usually I can get enough in that I have satisfactory returns and it gets me through the next 24 hours. Other times I can infuse 1000 in 4-5 minutes and get almost immediate returns. The first few stools are very firm then everything gets softer. I take stool softener every day. Lisa I certainly agree on not really wanting to add extra equipment for little gain. As for travel, that is almost a non issue for me.

The concept just caught my eye and I was curious if anyone had tried it. I will read up on it some more. Thanks for the link Markstan.

Karen
Rectal cancer 11/08
Colostomy 2/10
Mets to R lung 4/11
Mets to L lung 7/12
Majorkahuna

Post by Majorkahuna »

Not available in the US or Canada. Another example of how the FDA doesn't seem to know we exist. I think this is the 3rd such device to come on the market and no make it to the US. I will be watching the availability in Canada so I can purchase one there. Once again the FDA saves us from ourselves.
lolapergola

Post by lolapergola »

Am taking delivery of the IryPump next week, for a months trial .I will post how I got on with it as soon as I've formed an opinion, if this helps anyone,
Lola.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I know a woman in the UK who tried this years ago. she did not like it but maybe Lola will have a different take.

As I remember it was also very pricey.

In my opinion most gadgets are pricey and impractical. Like the Vitala, and the Conseal Plug.

But most things are worth the try. if you never come up to bat you will never strike out.
lolapergola

Post by lolapergola »

I am keeping an open mind really, it could be great or it could be awful .The price is no longer a problem as in the UK you can now get it on prescription.They reckon it's a huge saving on pouches if people take to it , but to be honest an awful lot of people over here don't irrigate and the nurses know next to nothing about it .
L.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

has it arrived? did you use it? what do you think?
Lee

I am not my disease.
lolapergola

Post by lolapergola »

My nurse let me down and I don't get it until tomorrow.I hope .She's always been unreliable so fingers crossed .
L