Advice on upcoming take down

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
spmudd

Advice on upcoming take down

Post by spmudd »

Reversal is scheduled for July 8. Sixteen weeks since my colon ruptured. This forum helped me find bags that worked for me (convatech and eakin seal) and I know you have great advice for take down recovery! I've read that you need to use butt cream (any brand that's best?) and use wipes and a bidet. I had no trouble with anything I ate during my time with a colostomy- does that bode well for my adjustment? How long on average until things work like they used to? Thanks for all your help and advice!
Cary71

Re: Advice on upcoming take down

Post by Cary71 »

My question Is How are you handling bms at work I have clustering for 2hrs straight most of time I don't make it in time .
Cary71

Post by Cary71 »

I'm 2 weeks down and it's been quite a shock how I have control of my bowels
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

spmudd, a week tomorrow since your takedown. I hope you are doing 'as well as can be expected'. Do you have time off work?

Cary71, welcome to the group. I'm surprised you're back at work only 2 weeks after the reversal surgery. Do you mean it's a shock the control you have or don't have over your bowels?
Did you have advice re diet? I was not allowed any raw fruit or vegetables (except banana).
All the best to you both, TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013
spmudd

Post by spmudd »

Wow, Cary, I can't believe you're back at work!!!!! I'm 11 days post take down and no way would I want to be going back to work. My bowels are working but still waiting for them to return to normal. I find that when I feel the urge, I better get to the bathroom fast. Haven't had any accidents yet but it's because I've been at home. I had my first raw fruit (a peach) yesterday and did ok with it. My doctor doesn't want me to have salads yet, but hopefully soon. I'm trying to eat low residue foods - chicken, ground beef, white bread, rice - that sort of thing until the plumbing is working better. To Good Health, how long did you stay away from raw fruits and vegetables?
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

spmudd, you won't like my answer and I'm sure you will be different: 17 months
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013