Stoma cap leaking the other way

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
steiconi

Stoma cap leaking the other way

Post by steiconi »

It's been hot lately, so we jump in the pool 2-3 times a day. I'm not doing laps or diving, just splashing around in the water.

Three times in the last few days, my stoma cap has gotten filled with clear, odorless water. Of course, I can't tell it's water, and go change. In one case, it leaked out; fortunately, I was at home. And if the water can get in, pooh can get out.

I'm using the same brand (Convatec) and style, but just started a new box. I don't remember if this problem started before or after the new box.

Anybody else having this problem?
Lee

I am not my disease.
Lisa

Re: Stoma cap leaking the other way

Post by Lisa »

I always change my cap after swimming, I think water can get in through the filter after more than a few minutes in the water. I'm sure you don't want to use so many caps in one day if your swimming multiple times. Have you tried to cover the filter with one of those stickers or water proof tape?
Lisa
Lisa
3/14 stage III Rectal cancer
Chemo/Radiation
1/15 APR Colostomy
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

thanks, Lisa, good idea.

Actually, I realized that I used to wear a compression belt (boob tube) while swimming, and just stopped recently. That might be the difference.

I don't think it's leaking in the filter, I've seen a tiny gap twixt skin and stickum. Oddly enough, the gap is at the top, in an area of smooth skin, not in the crease where I normally get misadhesion. The compression belt might be giving that enough...well, compression to keep it closed.

I'll try the filter stickers anyway. Maybe I should keep some out by the pool, so I don't have to go upstairs to rummage around for them when I feel like a swim. When the filter gets wet, it sometimes doesn't let air out, and that looks a little weird.
Lee

I am not my disease.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

so I've been using both the filter sticker and compression belt the last few days. No leaks!
Lee

I am not my disease.
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Glad you solved it! Even small victories feel good :D
Lisa
3/14 stage III Rectal cancer
Chemo/Radiation
1/15 APR Colostomy
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Nope, that wasn't it. I've got yet another bad batch of Convatec stoma caps.

Tonight I got a filter leak; when I got up and checked it, the seal was good all the way around, and the bag was EMPTY. Must have been a teaspoon of liquid and it all came out through the filter and stained my nightclothes, sheet, and the chux under the sheet. I really hate changing sheets at 1am. Now it's 3, and I still can't go back to sleep.

I had multiple problems with a particular batch earlier this year, then no problems for a while, and now I've had 3 filter leaks with this new batch. And yuck, I have 2 boxes of them. Time to call Convatec for replacements, and order Hollister from now on.
Lee

I am not my disease.