3 weeks post op colostomy takedown/hernia repair

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
SandyRN0224

3 weeks post op colostomy takedown/hernia repair

Post by SandyRN0224 »

:) I had my emergency colostomy in April 2009 and just had a very very large parastomal hernia and two other hernias repaired along with the colostomy takedown. I was very traumatized with my first surgery and put off the reversal as long as possible. I was having blockage after blockage, 6-9 hour vomiting sessions, hospital admits with NG tubes until finally the docs got everything coordinated and I had it all fixed 8/3/2016.

I just saw the colo rectal surgeon and tho there is yet another small pocket that needs to be packed daily along with the old ostomy site, I'm doing well. My stools are down from 10-15 a day to about half that. The rectal spasms are under control with lomotil and luckily it doesn't stop me up.

I see the hernia doc tomorrow and hope for another good report. I really wish I hadn't waited so long to do this. It's been a long, terrifying road but I'm on the other side of it now, thankfully.

I haven't posted much lately but I read all the time. I want to thank you all for being here. If I can help anyone with the experiences of my 7 years of colostomy living as well as my newly formed poop shoot, please give me a yell. I've experienced just about everything one can going through this process.

Hugs to all

Sandy
Emergency colo for rupture 4/18/09
Crohn's. takedown/hernia repair 8/3/16
To Good Health

Re: 3 weeks post op colostomy takedown/hernia repair

Post by To Good Health »

SandyRN,
I am so thrilled and glad for you!! What wonderful news I remember some of your ongoing problems but don't recall hearing about the 6-9 hr vomiting sessions. How awful and the ng tubes are always unpleasant even if necessary.
I suggest that you post this good news on the general ostomy board too so all your friends can rejoice with you. I hope you will keep in touch with the board because you have a lot to offer.
Good luck with the hernia repairs. Take it easy on lifting. I have 2 hernias (one parastomal)which the surgeon is not keen to touch as I have so many adhesions.

All the best, To Good Health
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013