Severe pain and discomfort after reversal!

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
steve french

Severe pain and discomfort after reversal!

Post by steve french »

Hi all ...

This is my first post here. I was happy to find this community (albeit after my reversal) but nonetheless, some useful stuff in here.

Background: I had my initial surgery on June 22nd 2016 and the reversal October 7th 2016. When I had the pouchogram in August I was told everything is healing well, which is why I had the reversal two weeks ago. BUT ... up until this past Thursday I wasn't really dealing with too much pain and discomfort but something happened at some point during the day because since then I've been in excruciating pain in my abdomen where the stoma previously was. It's tight and hurts more than anything I've experienced (and I've had a lot of bad cards lol). I have no pain when having a bowel movement and am going fairly regularly. I'm trying not to take the hydromorphine because I'm not a fan of the way it makes me feel but had to take it last night in order to sleep. I can walk, but move very slow and I'm a little hunched over. I have a high threshold for pain but this is some next level pain. It feels like stabbing and my muscles constricting. One of the surgeons did tell me they had to pull my muscles in order to close the wound where the stoma was, so my assumption is it's my body settling. Also ... I am not exhibiting any other negative side effects (other than when I take the morphine I feel light headed and want to lie down).

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I don't want to overreact and run to emerg but I also don't want to go back to the bag. ANY insight is appreciated.

This is a tough journey and I send blessing and positivity to all those going through it.
To Good Health

Re: Severe pain and discomfort after reversal!

Post by To Good Health »

Hi Steve, welcome to the discussion board. I suggest that you repost this on the general ostomy board as it gets a lot more traffic.
With the amount of pain you're having, I would suggest getting in touch with your surgeon. All the best,
TGH
ps I didn't have anything like this after my reversal
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013
steve french

Post by steve french »

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Planning on calling my surgeon today.
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

Steve, what did your surgeon say?
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
steve french

Post by steve french »

To Good Health wrote:Steve, what did your surgeon say?
TGH
She said that as long as I am not nauseous, throwing up, constipated or running a fever, the pain is part of the process. I informed my surgeon that I am going to take CBD pills instead of the hydromorphone I was prescribed as I'm not a fan of how the latter makes me feel, but the former is working very well. I still have pain and trouble sleeping a full night, but I'll deal with it for the bigger picture.
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

Steve, it's now 20 days since your surgery. Has the pain let up? Thanks for getting back with what the surgeon said.
All the best,
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
steve french

Post by steve french »

To Good Health wrote:Steve, it's now 20 days since your surgery. Has the pain let up? Thanks for getting back with what the surgeon said.
All the best,
TGH
It's slowly getting better every day. The overall pain I was experiencing is almost gone and has now turned to the odd stabbing pain that lasts for a few seconds, goes away, comes back etc, etc.

Looking back after the first surgery, it took about three weeks for me to begin feeling better, so this timeline fits with the last one. I know the mountain is still not scaled but I'm feeling better, sleeping a bit better and trending in the right direction. Incredibly happy I had this surgery.
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

Steve, thanks for the good news!
Don't try too much too soon. All the best,
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
steve french

Post by steve french »

To Good Health wrote:Steve, thanks for the good news!
Don't try too much too soon. All the best,
TGH
Thank you for checking in :^)

Going slow and taking things easy for sure!
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Thank u for writing about all of my signs and symptoms! I am 4 weeks post op and feel exactly the same way. Abt two weeks into it I felt great. Now I have such pain under where my stoma was. Feel nauseous when I have a BM which is like 8 times a day just very little at a time. Going to see my surgeon Thursday.
steve french

Post by steve french »

Ashley wrote:Thank u for writing about all of my signs and symptoms! I am 4 weeks post op and feel exactly the same way. Abt two weeks into it I felt great. Now I have such pain under where my stoma was. Feel nauseous when I have a BM which is like 8 times a day just very little at a time. Going to see my surgeon Thursday.
Good luck! It's a long process. I just passed the 1 year date of my reversal surgery and while I feel great and look better, I'm still waking up anywhere from 3-7 times a night to use the loo. It's very annoying and frustrating but I assume part of the process. My surgeon suggested I eat dinner no later than 6pm, which is impossible.

8 BM a day is great! I have many more and while it's frustrating, I'm happy with my progress.

Good luck!!
APC

Post by APC »

Dear Mr. French,
I am in the reversal space right now at week 6 post op. I was incontinent for a few days after I left the hospital, 7 days after reversal surgery. The bowel habits have greatly improved but I still suffer from mild constipation. I introduce a new food once week and for the most part it agrees with me. However, I still have pain where the stoma was and some pain and/or itching in the 8 inch vertical incision. It's slightly maddening but not enough to take medicine. When I just got home from hospital I was taking oxycodone-tylenol and let me tell you that works. But it also can impede healing. So after a week of that I stopped and switched to tylenol and advil, neither of which worked, either singly or together.
I am a 78 year old man and fit for my age. I find that walking every day about a mile and a half helps with pain, gas and mental state. This entire business I understand ends in about 12 weeks. In weeks 6 and 7 I will be going to a few shows and movies, eating out. I suspect by week 8 or 9 I will be driving. This is what happened after the first operation.
It can be difficult to sleep because of pain and itching. I use an ice bag to calm things down. The taping is also a pain. I use A & D ointment on irritated skin. It kind of works, not 100%.
I hope some of this is helpful.
teenyevans_1

Post by teenyevans_1 »

Steve,
I just joined this forum and in a strange way almost feel giddy reading your story, only because I experienced the same thing! And it’s so difficult when you think your the only one. I am 7 weeks post op, and just this weekend experienced this again. The pressure, hardness and sharp pain. I have discovered that even if I am the littlest bit backed up, it created pressure and pain. I have found that taking Milk of mag to empty myself out , helps, but not always. I saw my surgeon as well when this happened the first time, I felt so good, was hopeful that I was on my way to full recovery and then one Thursday, the pain, the hardness and the sharp stab I g pain started. My Syracuse the same thing your did. But she also planted a seed in my head of a possible hernia! I was so worried for a week, but the pain finally settled and taking Miralax every day has helped. Between the Diverticulitis, the surgery to remove colon, having an ileostomy for 3 months, then the reversal and then all of this! It’s so difficult emotionally and mentally! The constant guessing and worrying and wondering what is normal or not normal. I hope your feeling better Steve.
Survived

Post by Survived »

I was shot in the lower left abdomen in 2012 which led to a colostomy bag 9 months later i had it removed thankfully but then i had a bowel obstruction which caused alot of pain and discomfort i went to the e.r. and they were able to unblock the obstruction well here i am n 2019 and and still experiencing pain but its a different pain its excruciating. Let me give u an example for instance i bent over to put on my shoe and i felt a muscle spasm coming on by my colostomy scar and it hurt so bad all i could do is hold my stomach where the spasm was happening i couldnt move it hurt so bad like a sharp intense pain and it instantly felt swollen and i could feel my muscles jumping around then it passed i thought it was done then it locked up and knotted up again i wanted to call for help but i couldnt move it lasted about 30 seconds maybe longer each time and like i said its exruciating then the following 2 to 3 days it feels so sore and im scared to move fast or sit up and down or lay down and get up what is the reason for this and how many other people have experienced this after a colostomy removal? Please help if u can i wish i could get a better understanding so i could prevent this or help other people in my same situation thank u
CBD

Post by CBD »

My husband is 23 weeks post reversal and is still experiencing pain. Especially at the stoma incision scar. He also has difficulty sleeping and it hurts him to roll flip over in bed. Anyone else? Normal?