The 2016 Presidential Election is finally over

Share the non-ostomy part of your life (but please limit the random jokes!).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
oliveoyl

The 2016 Presidential Election is finally over

Post by oliveoyl »

OMG! Can you believe this whole thing? I went and voted today, and that was finally it. I can't remember anything so weird as this has been. And this day seems so subdued. The TV ads are gone, the screaming is over, it seems so quiet and hushed and calm. It just wants to make you sink into a chair, put your feet up, and take a little nap.
Olive
Crohn's. 2 stomas. Permanent ileostomy, mucous fistula
"I yam what I yam." Popeye
susan f

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election is finally over

Post by susan f »

I'm worried about the people who were able to get health insurance because of the ACA, and who are facing uncertainty over it now. I am extremely fortunate to have healthcare from work, and when I retire, Tricare because my husband is retired Navy. But still.... I know many people who took a retirement package from work last year, and one reason was that they could now get healthcare.
UC Diagnosis 1981
J-Pouch 1988-2002
Permanent ileostomy 2002-now
Crohn's Disease Diagnosis - 2015
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

In my opinion, I don't think they will totally dismantle the ACA, but there have got to be some changes. It has some really good attributes, but it is seriously flawed. It's great for the folks who get it free or subsidized, but for people working, it is far from affordable.
Here's a real life example. My cousin works for a small company (<50 people). His wife is in school working on a nursing degree. Under the ACA, their monthly premium would be $1000/month, with a $14,000 deductible....That's $26,000/year, out of pocket before the ACA insurance would even kick in....that's that price of a new car...to be paid in ONE YEAR! Their "penalty" for not carrying insurance last year was $1500 for the two of them. I don't know about the rest of America, but I fail to see where that is affordable.
If it doesn't get fixed, it's going to collapse under its own weight anyhow. Hopefully our elected officials will make this a useful program for all....
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
To Good Health

Post by To Good Health »

ot dave, your cousin's health care expenses sound crazy. Yes, I hope the plan is improved. I'm grateful I live in Canada. I did not have to pay a penny for all my surgeries, hospitalizations, er visits, doctors' appts, etc. Have to pay for supplies and prescriptions but nowhere near the full amount. Of course, we probably have to pay a lot more in income tax than our American neighbours but, to me, it is worth it to not have to worry about affording surgeries, etc.
Olive, glad you enjoyed the peace on Tuesday. Wednesday was anything but. . . .
All the best to everyone,
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013
susan f

Post by susan f »

I think the ACA would have been much better if both sides of the aisle had bought into it and tried to make it a good law. And of course, if the insurance lobby had had less influence. Unfortunately that is not the world we live in, and I don't know what will happen now.
UC Diagnosis 1981
J-Pouch 1988-2002
Permanent ileostomy 2002-now
Crohn's Disease Diagnosis - 2015
cdogtom

Post by cdogtom »

ot dave wrote:In my opinion, I don't think they will totally dismantle the ACA, but there have got to be some changes. It has some really good attributes, but it is seriously flawed. It's great for the folks who get it free or subsidized, but for people working, it is far from affordable.
Here's a real life example. My cousin works for a small company (<50 people). His wife is in school working on a nursing degree. Under the ACA, their monthly premium would be $1000/month, with a $14,000 deductible....That's $26,000/year, out of pocket before the ACA insurance would even kick in....that's that price of a new car...to be paid in ONE YEAR! Their "penalty" for not carrying insurance last year was $1500 for the two of them. I don't know about the rest of America, but I fail to see where that is affordable.
If it doesn't get fixed, it's going to collapse under its own weight anyhow. Hopefully our elected officials will make this a useful program for all....
the sound of reason ....