Please Help! All the barriers and rings I've tried dissolve after a few hours!!!

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ileo73

Re: Please Help! Are there any rings that last more than a day?

Post by ileo73 »

I like the Safe n Simple conforming seals. They seem more robust.
texazgal

Post by texazgal »

Have you tried Stomahesive strips by Convatec? Not sure what they are made of, but they don't claim to be hydrocolloid. I cut them in half the long way to make shaping into a ring easier. Just roll into a circle and join the ends. Press to flatten evenly. They are Much less expensive than other seals and have worked well for me. They don't swell up with moisture like Eakins.
susan f

Post by susan f »

Checking in...

Have you tried a two piece with a rigid ring yet (not the Adhesive Coupling?).

Could there be some kind of skin condition going on? I had a long time yeast infection that messed things up.

Have you tried Convatec Stomahesive appliances? It is not a hydrocolloid.

There are non-adhesive systems - I think they are called VIP?
UC Diagnosis 1981
J-Pouch 1988-2002
Permanent ileostomy 2002-now
Crohn's Disease Diagnosis - 2015
ArcherCrab5662

Post by ArcherCrab5662 »

I may have no right to answer this question as #1 I've only had my colostomy 2 weeks and #2 I have a colostomy not and ileostomy. But I will share with you what my WOC nurse shared with me: LESS IS MORE. I had a persistent ileus for 12 days post op. I was on TPN so the output in my colostomy bag was just watery, acidic diarrhea basically like an ileostomy. It has just barely started having more solid output.

All I use is a skin prep wipe and the Mio Sensura 2 piece system. Since mine is brand new I measure with each wafer change. He said no paste, no powder, no rings - just put on the barrier over clean prepped skin. The only blowout I had was while I was in the hospital and after one of the floor nurses changed the wafer for me. She used everything there was - paste, powder, ring and BAM - crap all over the place! I change mine every 3 days and am very happy so far.

Maybe make sure you are measuring your stoma with the cardboard guide (I use a stand mirror to see better) and try just using the wafer with some skin barrier? I've had no trouble with it "melting" even when my output was caustic.

Peace and Blessings,
Nancy
RonMc

Post by RonMc »

Flux:

Do you by any chance take any medication to reduce the amount of acid in your stomach? That is the only other thing I can think of.

Since I have been diagnosed with the small bowel or short gut, my stoma will go in and out, shrink and expand at will. Very frustrating when trying to bag! I was sure using the paste around the stoma opening in the base plate would solve your problem. It is only when my stoma decides to hide that I know I don't have a perfect seal. I actually feel the water around the stoma. But just because I can feel it, doesn't mean that I have a full blown leak. Just a heads up to watch. Because I use the Brava strips around the adhesive portion of the base plate, I just watch it. If the strip goes from clear to white, change it. Otherwise, continue on.

I have a small mole just to the side of my stoma and the WOC told me I would have problems with the seal. And I did using Hollister but as soon as I switched, no more.

Would you consider taking pictures of your system? I can do the same for you and send them privately. Maybe, we can figure something out.
Colorectal Cancer 2006
Too many issues in between to mention
Permanent Ileostomy 2012
smashms

Post by smashms »

if i were you i would try calling the major manufacturers and seeing if they have any suggestions for you. as it seems we cannot find an answer for you. yes the rings break down after a few days for me they are designed to do that.
neurogenic bladder and T6 paraplegic ileal conduit 2/15/2011
cdogtom

Post by cdogtom »

try Tegaderm from the pharmacy it may work ,but by all means find a good wound nurse ...
gap

Post by gap »

Sorry see here there doesn't seem to be any help for you. Your not eating poisonous toads are you? Maybe have your bag contents analyzed to see exactly what is present? Knowing are great drug industry, I'm sure they could come up with something and then charge you 1000 times more then the manufacturing costs.
CatMom1

Post by CatMom1 »

Can medications to reduce acid reflux cause a problem with pouching systems adhering? I have been using Coloplast with a convex flange and their brand of barrier rings and I seem to get leakage around the stoma after 24-30 hours! I have tried every product I can find to no avail. I have had an ileostomy for for over 35 years and have never had this problem before! Any help/suggestions appreciated!
CatMom1

Post by CatMom1 »

Flux...have you tried Marathon Skin Protectant? It is a liquid that forms a light but strong barrier on the skin. You will need a good adhesive remover to remove but it works well. I use it and sometimes switch to Torbot SkinTac wipes. I too have problems with barrier rings as they dissolve on me. I have tried Coloplast barrier rings and Stomahesive paste and will try the Eakin seal next.
CatMom1

Post by CatMom1 »

Flux...I thought I had replied but do not see the post. I am having the same problem. I have had an ileostomy for 30 years, and never used to have this problem. Often I have to change the wafer every 24-30 hours. I am using Coloplast Assura deep convex and usually use their barrier ring. I have tried paste, both tube and strips and neither worked. I thought I knew all the tricks by now but can't hit on anything that will last the 3-4 days I used to get.
I use the Torbot SkinTac wipes and sometimes the Marathon Skin Protectant, which leaves a supple barrier on the skin that works well but a little hard to remove. I may try and go without a barrier ring...an ET Nurse suggested trying that. I am so frustrated and can't figure out what to do! I am a runner and very active, and this is killing me!!
flux

Post by flux »

CatMom1... Yes, this is the same issue I'm having. My appliances used to last a week, now they only last a few hours.
The part of the barrier around the stoma dissolves into mush after a few hours, and then that allows all the output to start flowing under the barrier and out onto my clothes. (all stomas constantly secrete moisture. this is part of its normal operation. It seems what is happening in my case, is this moisture is getting directly soaked up by the barrier material.. since the idiot who designed it didn't make it waterproof. I can't solve this by cutting the barrier opening larger and away from the stoma, because then that exposes the skin to burning, damage and bleeding... which will in turn dissolve the barrier material as well.) I am a prisoner in my home! Someone please Help! :?: :?: I tried going to a restaurant, and the stool went all over the restaurant floor. :oops:
anadevi

Post by anadevi »

flux wrote:It seems what is happening in my case, is this moisture is getting directly soaked up by the barrier material.. since the idiot who designed it didn't make it waterproof.
Well, those same 'idiots' also designed the appliances that the rest of us are wearing and having great success with.
flux wrote:I am a prisoner in my home! Someone please Help!
You need to be open to the advice your being given in regard to cutting the wafer and the accessory products you are using. Sticking to your guns that it's the products and not how you are using them is counter productive. If as you say have the best WOCN in the area make use of the situation and try their suggestions, theres a wide range of products and options but it's also trial and error until you find the combination that works best for your situation.

Also, perhaps consider asking the WOCN if they can arrange a visit from one of the Ostomy support groups, they can be very knowledagble in the application and use of Ostomy products since like you they had to go though the same learning process you are now going though.

Finally, you might want to consider some medication to reduce your output and maybe make it a little easier to manage.
Button

Re: Please Help! All the barriers and rings I've tried dissolve after a few hours!!!

Post by Button »

I gather you have used the crystal packets that are placed in ileostomy pouches that are of the purpose to turn liquify, caustic output into a gel? If not, I would certainly encourage you to research the crystal packets. If the underlying issue is that your output is highly liquid and high in digestive enzymes, then packet crystals would be helpful in transitioning your output from a liquid to a semi-solid gel consistency that would be less likely to undermine the pouching wafer.

You may also want to keep a food journal and look at what you eat. Are you eating a high percentage of acidic foods (tomatoes, oranges/orange juice)? You may want to meet with a naturopathic physician and look at supplements to reduce the acidity of your stomach/intestines. Digestive enzyme supplements, papaya supplements - there are homeopathic options that might ramp down the pH of your output.

Placing the "blame" on the ostomy appliance manufacturers seems short-sighted. For the vast majority of individuals with an ostomy, within the broad range of wafers, pouches, and accessory products is a product or combination of products that is a good "fit."

Keep experimenting with the products available and consider how your the composite of your fecal output (pH level, degree of digestive enzymes) might be influencing wear time. Digestive supplements to make your output less caustic and the use of crystal packets in your pouch to turn your output from liquid to a semi-solid gel are additional avenues.
- Karen -
Intestine perforation, sepsis, ileostomy, 2012
Addison’s disease + endocrine failure
Palliative Care
ileo73

Re: Please Help! All the barriers and rings I've tried dissolve after a few hours!!!

Post by ileo73 »

Safe n Simple conforming seals work for me.