Scared for reversal

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Jenkittykat

Scared for reversal

Post by Jenkittykat »

Hi! I'm 43 and I went in for a hysterectomy the middle of last month. My bowel was stuck to my uterus and they nicked it trying to remove my uterus. They repaired the nick and closed me up. I recovered and was on my way out of the hospital, when I got sick. They took me into xray and found air in my stomach. They did emergency surgery and found that my wound had reopened. They put an iliostomy in and closed me up again. I go in for a barium enema on Tuesday, and if everything looks good, they'll do a reversal the week after. So many questions. Do they leave the wound open, or sew it shut? If is left open, do they pack it? I've heard that the surgery is quicket then the first, but recovery is slower, is that true? Is changing the bandages painful? I'm just very scared and don't know what to expect. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Casey53

Re: Scared for reversal

Post by Casey53 »

Hi there! My reversal will be within the next 2 weeks. Just wanted to check in and see how you are and yours went. I had a ileo for very similar reasons. <3
To Good Health

Re: Scared for reversal

Post by To Good Health »

How are you doing Jenkittykat? Have you had the reversal?

Casey53, all the best to you. I sympathize with both of you who have an ostomy as a result of a nick. Actually, I can empathize because that's how I got my 3rd ostomy. I already had a permanent ostomy but this 3rd one is more difficult to care for.
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013