Question about BMs after reversal

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Casey53

Question about BMs after reversal

Post by Casey53 »

Hey guys! I am 4 weeks out from a takedown caused by a failed bowel resection for endometriosis.

I am mostly doing ok, but would love to know your thoughts on this....

Every single bowel movement is painful. I have these episodes of intense cramping, then voiding. Intense cramping and void. Usually one a day. Every other day if I'm lucky.

My nose also becomes congested during these episodes.

It doesn't matter if I eat low fiber or fruits/vegees. It still happens. :(

They last about an hour until I'm "empty" and totally zaps me for a few hours after that. I really feel terrible once they are over.

The BMs are semi formed to like pudding. Tmi sorry. They are soft and sometimes watery.

At my 2 weeks post op, my doc didn't think this was a big deal and just said it could take a year for my bowels to regulate. Omg I can't live like this for a year. The cramping is excruciating, bringing me to tears and also sometimes nausea.

I plan on calling again today, but would love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Is this normal?
To Good Health

Re: Question about BMs after reversal

Post by To Good Health »

I haven't heard about this intense cramping. I'm glad that you're seeing/calling your doctor today. In my opinion this needs investigation. All the best,
TGH
Chemo/rad Mar 07
APR/ileo May 07
Perm colostomy 2009
Perforated colon Nov 2013
Casey53

Post by Casey53 »

Thank u TGH!!!!
sandow

Post by sandow »

I am 70 years old, very active and basically healthy. I also am 4 weeks out from my reversal. First 2 weeks were ok. Then I started having unpredictable voiding. Had 2 accidents (at home, thank God). I don't feel confident that when I return to work I can make it to the restroom in time. Sometimes I'm in the bathroom 10 times a day, or 3 times a night, or nothing for 36 hours. I'm keeping a food and voiding log to try and identify problem foods. I'm eating very little and losing weight because of it. I've found that digestible meats like chicken, potato, white bread and rice don't give me a problem. Can't eat greasy or spicy foods. I don't have pain going (except in rectum if sitting for 15 minutes while I void 4 times) I use A&D ointment. Would love it if someone developed a list of acceptable foods. At this point I am unsure whether I am glad I did the surgery. Difficult because I had the ostomy reversal and doc created an ileostomy for 4 weeks while reversal healed. Then reversed the ileostomy. 2 surgeries in 4 weeks and another 4 weeks recovery. I hear it takes up to a year to get regular. I see my surgeon again next week and will post her recommendations. Am considering seeing a nutritionist who is family with ostomy reversals.
chocchoc

Post by chocchoc »

I had reversal 3 weeks ago and am having problems with my plumbing-I am having to wear diapers due to very little warning of bms! Bms cause severe burning of my rectum and some have blood ! Is this something that others have experienced ?