Dehydration

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Bmulherin

Dehydration

Post by Bmulherin »

:( Hi all
I have a new Illestomy
My colon burst I went to Mayo was real sick I have had 3
Crohn's resection
They did a colonscopy and that night I was septic
my colon burst It was a night mare
I ended up with a temporary Illestomy
but I have real high output watery
I have tired Imodium/ Citracel and chocolate lostryme
As I have had many gallbladder removed
I keep getting severely dehydrated and have to go in every 2 weeks for fluids
Need some help on how to get this under control
Thank you all
Beth
delemur

Re: Dehydration

Post by delemur »

I'm guessing you're eating a lot of foods that help to thicken your output (peanut butter, bananas, etc.). Try staying away from Gatorade and other sports drinks and stick to water and Pedialytle.

Don't drink any liquids 30 minutes before, during, or until 30 minutes after your meals.

Ask your doctor to prescribe some Lomotil. That works pretty well for me. Some pain meds help with watery output as well. I think Codeine may be the best.
dcando

Post by dcando »

I have the same problem with my ileostomy. Been admitted for severe dehydration more than once. I take imodium, apple sauce, potatoes and other things to slow down my output. My stoma has a mind of it's own, sometimes it's like a run a way train, as the hospital called it, it is very hard to control. That concerns me because my kidneys also took a hit more than once from the dehydration. If you have all the signs of dehyration and feel dehyrated and unable to pass your water normally, go in and let the hospital help you, because once it gets out of control, you cannot fix it on your own, only IV fluids can! The hospital had me try metamucil but that made it worse for me. Wish I could be of more help? Hope they find something that works for you.
ColonLess_Life

Post by ColonLess_Life »

Hello Bmulherin. I had an ileostomy a few years ago, so I know what you are going through. I now have an ileostomy reversal. I don't know if you still have an ileostomy or if you have had it reversed, but you can try the BRAT diet ( bananas, rice, applesauce and toast ). That helps me some. The combination of all those foods helps to thicken things up some.I can't do the applesauce though, it gives me diarrhea. I was told to eat peanut butter, but it gives me gas. It might help you though. Also, the less you drink before you eat and about 30 minutes to an hour after you eat might help also. I had a doctor tell me not to use Imodium, because it can make your bowels stop working. If you take a level teaspoon of psyllium husk and mix it with 2 ounces of water, and take it after you eat, it will help you not to have a bowel movement so often. You have to watch it though. If you take it too often it can constipate you or even make you have bowel movements more frequently, depending on your body. Just try it once a day at first. If you see that it isn't working so good, try taking it again before bedtime. As for the dehydration, I can't help you much in that department. I am battling it myself. My body will not process sugar, so if I drink sports drinks or take oral solutions, I get diarrhea. The only thing that has kept me from dehydrating so far is, I take a little over 1/2 teaspoon of iodized salt and mix it with about 20 ounces of water. That is mainly what I drink. If I drink anything else, my fingers start pruning and my skin starts drying out and I know that I am dehydrating. I don't know whether my body is different than others, but I think that your colon takes in most of your fluids. Without the colon, your body has a hard time trying to stay hydrated. Doctors have told me that my small intestine would take over after a while, but it has been over 2 years and my small intestine still hasn't taken over yet, and I don't think that it ever will. Don't drink caffeine and don't drink alcohol, as these will just make matters worse. If I find a solution for the dehydration, I will make sure to let you know. Until then, if you tolerate sugar, take oral solutions ( sugar, salt and water ) and that might help you. Also try Pedialite if you can, but it can be expensive. Look on the internet for " oral solution recipe " and you can make your own Pedialite. If that doesn't work, just try the salt water. It can't hurt to try. I hope this will help you out some. Stay positive, stay blessed.