Ostomy Reversal/Takedown - What to Expect

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
sandow

Ostomy Reversal/Takedown - What to Expect

Post by sandow »

I had my colostomy and ileostomy reversals in the last 4-8 weeks. Since then I am disappointed in the frequency of BM's and constipation. I wish I had had the following information before deciding on the surgeries. It would have helped me make a better choice. It appears that all of us are to expect similar issues that may take up to a year to regulate. Not sure I would have done the reversal had I known this (ask me in a year :) ). Also, it's a long, hard recovery. My home health nurse sent me this link that covers what to expect regarding surgery and after. It isn't from the hospital I was at, but it did follow closely my experience. I hope it helps.
https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/patie ... surgery-01
GoCubs79

Re: Ostomy Reversal/Takedown - What to Expect

Post by GoCubs79 »

Just had my reversal this week, Stage 4 colon cancer, things are going ok, still lots of pain and my digestive system is still waking up. No regrets though, I knew it would be a long road to recovery. As of today I am cancer free, for now.

One thing with a reversal, sometimes forget that it's gone and forget to wipe :lol: LOL

Also have a ton of ostomy supplies, anyone know how to donate them?
sandow

Post by sandow »

Ostomy supplies: Go online and look up a local Ostomy association; they can help. Or if you know a quadriplegic they often need supplies.
ColonLess_Life

Post by ColonLess_Life »

Hello Sandow. I had my ileostomy reversal about two years ago. At first, I thought the same thing; I wished that I had not had it done. But after several months of healing, things got better. I still have frequent bowel movements at times and still have gas a lot, but I don't miss the leaking bags and the putrid smell. I use Calmoseptine ointment for my anus and it seems to help better than anything else that I have tried. I bought a toilet bidet for my toilet and that helps with keeping my anus clean. It also keeps me from wiping my anus raw. You can buy a toilet bidet on Amazon for about 30 to 50 dollars. Believe me, it does help. If you can tolerate it, eat the BRAT diet ( bananas, rice, applesauce and toast). Also, you might can try peanut butter. Drink oral solutions to stay hydrated. As for any pain, your doctor can prescribe meds, but may not let you stay on them long. My doctor took me off my meds and I just had to deal with the pain until it went away. I still hurt at times, but I just deal with it. I hope that this helps. Stay positive, stay blessed.
NewbieFL

Post by NewbieFL »

Hello I have a colostomy with a stoma on the left side. I am also nearing my reversal. I have had no health problems with the situation. I’ve already had my preop testing for the reversal. I do have a very good colorectal doctor that came highly recommended. What I’d like to know is your thoughts input, etc. on having the reversal done this is in the sigmoid colon area. I would appreciate anybody’s experiences they would like to share. Thank you very much and bless you.
NewbieFL

Post by NewbieFL »

Hello -

Anyone can you please comment your experienc? Takedown\Reversal is sooner than I thought!🙄