Miralax in Irrigation Water?

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Diane C

Miralax in Irrigation Water?

Post by Diane C »

Wondered if any of you do this or add any other type of cocktail? Lately, I've been irrigating more due to distension and stool getting caught in my sigmoid. In fact, I needed surgery in 2015 due to an abscess in my sidmoid. So now and then I contemplate an ileo. Curious if anyone adds anything to their irrigation water for a better clean-out?

Thanks!

Diane C.
MACE Procedure 2000 for chronic, severe constipation/non-relaxing puberactalis
Colostomy 2002
Stoma Revision and Clean out of Abscess in Sigmoid 2015
steiconi

Re: Miralax in Irrigation Water?

Post by steiconi »

I sometimes use a little soap. Enema kits routinely come with liquid castille soap to help break up constipation, so I use a little when I'm feeling blocked. Seems to help.
Lee

I am not my disease.
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

I've never added anything to my irrigation water. But, if it works for you, then I'd stick with it. We are all different. What works for one, may only work for one :wink: There are things that I do ostomy wise that others frown upon, but they work for me. I'm just glad when someone finds a trick and shares it with every one else.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

Thanks all, I don't really think the Miralax helps all that much. My hope was that when I was done irrigating, I wouldn't have water left in my sigmoid where it tends to collect but Miralax didn't really help with that. I think it worked a bit better -- perhaps -- when I took it orally at night. Yes, I do see the castile soap and never tried that. I did try mineral oil and that did nothing either.

Sorry to be catching up so late!

Thank you!

Diane C