Day 6 post-op need help, advice, support!

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Jessieann50

Day 6 post-op need help, advice, support!

Post by Jessieann50 »

I'm a 41 y/o female (who has never used a forum) who has just had an emergency colostomy due to a ruptured colon caused by
Diverticulitis. I need help and support, please. My biggest problem right now is the putrid smell and knowing what and when to eat. Also, do you use a wrap? Do you fold your bag in your underwear? How do you handle when others are totally grossed out (as am I) by your foul smell? I'm due to return to work as a para educator on the 27th, I'm scared to death of offending people. I can't even take offending my own family right now. We have spray in every room, melted wax in two rooms, a potpourri pot, etc. It's bad!!!! How are we expected to live like this? I hope my 3-4 month stint goes fast! Please help!!!!
Gempler

Re: Day 6 post-op need help, advice, support!

Post by Gempler »

Hang in there JessieAnn... I too feel like I must be chasing people out of the room, but my wife says that she can't smell the bag... maybe she is just being kind, but I think us baggers are pretty sensitive to the odor than those around us..
You may want to also counsel with someone on the sealing of your stoma site and the type of bag you are using..
I am using the convatec two part system.. it has a vent with charcoal filter for gas relief, however, I felt like the filter didn't really work so I tape it over to close it and just burp my bag where/when necessary and convenient..
I go for my takedown consultation next week and can't wait to get rid of this thing, but is has been almost six months now and it is more of a mental thing than physical, so hang in there, heal up and have your takedown when you can...
all the best,
Greg
Gempler

Post by Gempler »

BTW, my situation was very similar..except I am 56 and a male.. emergency surgery due to ruptured colon, diverticulitis, sepsis.. I was in the hospital for 11 days and pretty darn sick.. I felt like my bedding was steeped in poo, even though I was on regularly changed bedding.. but others didn't seem to notice as much as I..
I wear my bag over my underwear but under my pants.. as luck would have it, the stoma is exactly where I wear my pants/belt so I feel like I am constantly making sure I don't break a seal and/or over pressure the bag.. I started out changing my whole system on a 3 to 4 day cycle, but felt like it was getting more foul and have started changing it every other day.. I think I was a bit fearful of doing it correctly and not getting good seals when I changed but that quickly proved not to be an issue and changing every other day has been really better for me. It is also nice to shower without a bag on and let the skin get a regular breather..
I am a bit anxious about the takedown and post op continence etc.. but I think not having the bag will be well worth it..
Dennisthemenace

Post by Dennisthemenace »

I had exactly the same situation and am 4 days from my reversal surgery. After initially struggling I switched to Hollister's two piece system with single use bags. I change my bag mid day after the morning activity and again before bed. There are some days I change three times if very active. The bags I use are sealed so I have to burp them but I can choose where and when. I have no odor and have had only two occasion when I did. Both times I tore the flange when burping. I hated the bags you had to empty. I also use the paste around the ostomy opening to insure a good seal and no leaks.

It will get easier to care for and eventually it just becomes an inconvenience. How this helps. Hang in there.
ColonLess_Life

Post by ColonLess_Life »

Hello Jessieann50. I had an ileostomy only for a month and a half, but I know what you are going through. My seals kept leaking, due to my oily skin. Also, the charcoal vents didn't help much either. I had to deal with that smell also, and it was terrible.I put peppermint mouthwash in my bag and that helped with the smell. They also make a deodorizer for pouches that works pretty well also. As far as for the pouch, I just wore it outside of my pants and I wore long shirts that covered the pouch.If I tried to wear it inside my pants, it would leak every time. I hope this helps. Stay positive. Stay blessed.