Post operative reversal complete success.

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Blessed

Post operative reversal complete success.

Post by Blessed »

I am 6 weeks post operative on my illeostomy reversal. Quick history. Dr. punctured my colon during colonoscopy. I beat the Dr. to the hospital because he had to catch a plane for hs vacation.
I had emergency surgury to repair colon. I told the surgeon that if he found anything remove it while he had me open, I didn’t want to be closed up to find out I needed further surgury. There was a tumer on the outside of my colon he removed. The tumor was stage 3 cancer. After a seven day stay in the hospital I was sent home and decided to take oral chemo medicine as a preventative measure.
One week later my resection came apart. I was rushed to the hospital for another emergency surgury. When I woke up I was surprised to see I had an ostomy. I was informed that I had been in ICU for 23 days in a Dr. induced coma and they paralyzed me from the neck down. I became septic, had a pulmonary embolism and told I coded 4 times. My family was called in to say their “good-by’s.”
After completing my chemo I chose Dr. Barry Jenkins, University Hospital Augusta GA. to perform my reversal. My wife and I were informed that most of my colon would be romoved, I would be given a temporarily illeostomy, and what little (about 6”) of my colon would be attached to my small intestines. The surgury was scheduled to take 2 to 2-1/2 hours. The surgury ended up taking 7-1/2 hours due to all the scar tissue left from all of my surgeries in Louisiana. After 8 weeks (time for resection to heal) Dr. Jenkins dropped the illeostomy and my resection was complete. I am 7 weeks post op and could not be happier. After 16 months with an ostomy then illeostomy I am now able to use the restroom “normally.” I go to the bathroom 3 to 5 times in a 24 hour period. I have total control over my rectum and can “hold it” if need be. I have not had any complications. No leakage, gas pains, and after a week a normal stool. So far the only thing I don’t eat (give me gas) is broccoli. I am truly blessed to have found Dr. Jenkins. Barry is young, smart, humble, and has the ability to explain things to someone without talking down to or them and not embarrassing you because he talks on your level of comprehension. If you are considering having reversal surgury I highly suggest you contact Dr. Jenkins. It’s your life and any surgury can be dangerous. Dr. Jenkins is the only Dr. I ever had, that as I was being wheeled into surgury, he stopped and asked my wife and I if he could say a prayer for me and him before my surgury. Amazing Dr. and person.
To Dream a Dream

Re: Post operative reversal complete success.

Post by To Dream a Dream »

A hearty welcome to our discussion board & community of cyber support. And yes, you are truly Blessed! Just keep ahold of that faith. It has guided me through many years since my first gut surgery in 1966 at fourteen. Will keep you & your good Doc in my own prayers.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
KamiH

Re: Post operative reversal complete success.

Post by KamiH »

Thanks for sharing your awesome story! It is nice to hear positive reversal stories! Dr. Jenkins sounds amazing!!