Rectal constipation with loop ileostomy

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Chelle25

Rectal constipation with loop ileostomy

Post by Chelle25 »

Hello all,
I just had a loop ileostomy done because of severe constipation problems and pelvic floor issues. I was doing great for a week and a half after surgery I was able to eat almost anything however now the past couple days I have been feeling constipated in my rectum and all my old symptoms are coming back including pain under my rib and my right side and feeling like I have to go to the bathroom and can't get nothing out. I was able to manage to get something out which was like a mint green colored mucus the first day this started and then the second day it happened I was going the mint green mucus again but it was like all the sudden something was blocking and I couldn't get anything else out. I have been in pain ever since and it's the same symptoms exactly that I had prior to surgery with my severe constipation. I called the nurse they told me to drink liquids and which I did but still nothing still paying still can't eat. Last night I called the doctor and they told me to use an enema which got barely anything out but I could feel it pushing something down against my rectum and the pain was excruciating like there was a rock there that could not come out. I don't know what to do at this point. My output in my bag has also slowed down since all of this and I don't know if it's because I haven't been able to eat very much or what.
If anybody else has experienced the sort of thing and can give me any suggestions I'd much appreciate it. I had such high hopes for this operation. I mean I went this far to do something about the severe constipation and it seems like I'm back in the same boat but not with a bag.
Also another question has anyone ever saw chewed up undigested food and their output bag? Because I've been seeing this as well not all the time but sometimes.
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Re: Rectal constipation with loop ileostomy

Post by Bob Webtech »

Hi Chelle,

Welcome to the board! As one possibility, it sometimes happens that a loop stoma doesn't provide perfect isolation between the upstream and downstream sides, but allows some communication, so some contents from your small intestine might be passing through your ileostomy to collect in your colon.

However, we can explain your problem without relying on communication through the stoma. Your colon continues to generate mucus (which it will continue to do as long as that colon tissue remains alive) and, if the colon lacks motility, that mucus would accumulate and produce constipation symptoms, just as stool in the colon did before.

My suggestion is to talk with your doctors, and possibly consult other doctors, as to whether you really had the right surgery. It may be that the only solution is to remove your colon and do an end ileostomy instead of loop ileostomy.

As for the slowdown of output in your pouch, maybe it's just your loss of appetite, but there may also be a possibility of ileostomy blockage. When you had your surgery, did they tell you that certain foods, especially very fibrous foods, may block an ileostomy? If you've been eating any foods with abandon since your surgery, maybe you've eaten something that has coincidentally blocked your ileostomy, along with the buildup of mucus in your colon.
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
Bix

Post by Bix »

Hi, I just joined. i also have a loop ileostomy and have mucus problems. My pelvic floor completely cut out on me (no muscles) —hence the reason for the loop ileostomy. I must employ an enema to remove the mucus from my colon once in a while. Can anyone suggest the best enema methods for removing mucus?
Bix

Post by Bix »

Help! Any suggestions for enemas to remove mucus when no food is present? I got my loop ileostomy for pelvic floor failure and Crohn's. After ileostomy, I still have problems getting my music out. The main problems is that a standard saline enema is immediately releases without getting any mucus out. If I dilute the enema, it works a little better but takes a long time, is uncomfortable and not consistent -It often does not work.
I also have a painful spine condition that has me partially crippled. I need an effective enema for colon mucus!
kirklanddl

Post by kirklanddl »

Hi, I'm new to this board and have a similar but odd circumstance. I have a loop colostomy, 3 years post surgery. I have also had that feeling of constipation/fullness without being able to move any mucus out of my rectum. Today I had a colonoscopy and in order to make sure I was clean in the non-working end of my colon they prescribed taking 2 Fleets enemas. I was only able to get 1/2 of 1 enema in me due to the pain it caused. Some of the enema flushed out along with a small amount of mucus. An hour or so later I discovered my collection bag/device was leaking, although the bag had very little in it. As I was putting on a new bag/device, I discovered liquid running down by belly and onto my thigh. There was NOTHING coming out of my stoma at that time. It was coming from the opening around my stoma. Later that day I discovered leakage again. This time it was 100% mucus and again coming from AROUND my stoma. Today's doctor endoscopic doctor was totally STUMPED. Has anyone else out there ever experienced leakage around their stoma???
Chelly

Post by Chelly »

Hello, I had the same issue and it was mucous balls collecting in the colon hardened just like as if it were poop but now mucous. I had a colonoscopy when I had my temp loop and the doctor had to abort the procedure due to too many hardened mucous balls. He said there were so many of them and he tried cleaning them out best he could but there was still a lot in there. He said your colon is not working and we don’t know why. Shortly after I elected for a total proctocolectomy with end ileostomy. So I now have no colon, no rectum snd my butt is sewn Shut. No more pressure, no more pain and no more constipation or mucous balls. Only downfall is I have this Ostomy the rest of my life but with all said it’s the best decision I’ve ever made.

There is also something called the pouch of Douglas in females. It’s in our female parts. If intestine gets trapped in there it can cause pressure feelings and constipation. I did have some intestine trapped in there later they found when I had my parastomal hernia operation.