Weight Loss Surgery with Ostomy

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Kiki

Weight Loss Surgery with Ostomy

Post by Kiki »

Has anyone here with an ileostomy had weight loss surgery? Was wondering if any problems with applying flange to skin after weight loss?
Ileostomy due to Crohn's disease August 1990
Punkinnae

Re: Weight Loss Surgery with Ostomy

Post by Punkinnae »

I had gastric by pass almost 10 years before I had my ileostomy. I have a lot of stomach skin but no problem with applying my bag. I've also lost an additional 30 +pounds since all of this.
Kiki

Post by Kiki »

Thank you for your response, Punkinnae! :) I've had my ileostomy for over 25 years and have struggled with my weight all my life. I just want to make sure that I won't have any problems after surgery with my stoma or applying the flange to loose skin.
doreejill61

Post by doreejill61 »

Keep in mind everyone is different and it will depend on where the loose skin is in relation to the stoma. I would likely think you might have crevasses that need to be filled with rings or paste. Best of luck on your surgery. I wish you great success.
hillslife

Post by hillslife »

I have had My illeostomy for about eight years. I thought after the ileostomy that I would be thin as a stick. My throughput time is about four hours, everything is totally liquid, and I have the worst time with gaining weight. I gain even if I look at something sweet. Doesn’t make sense to me ...where is all this fat coming from when everything runs through me in four hours. Post after you get your surgery done I’d like to know if it’s even possible with an ostomy.. so aggrevating :oops:
UC dx in 1998
Changed to Crohn's 2007
Perm illeostomy and proctocolectomy 2/2010
Kiki

Post by Kiki »

It IS very aggravating! Every year the scale goes up. :( I have a consultation with the bariatric surgeon on April 5th. Hopefully everything goes well and I can get my surgery scheduled. I'll let you know how it goes.
Zekenatalia

Post by Zekenatalia »

@kiki
I just came across this thread while trying to research some stuff and I was wondering how everything went for you?
Jachut

Post by Jachut »

I'll pipe up even though this thread is old, you never know who might read it and find it helpful.

I had had a lapband for five years and been very successful when I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. I really do believe that having beaten obesity did make the whole thing easier. However, its a mixed review from me - I unfilled my band completely upon the insistence of my colorectal surgeon. Never would I do that again, it was never the same. I did not regain a heap of weight, in fact was very underweight for a while, but did eventually finish up at about 8kg more than when I started. Eventually, eight years after my ultra low anterior resection my lapband well and truly slipped after 13 years. It came out and within a year, I regained a good 30kg - and hand on heart this was without stopping exercise or eating noticeably more. It just steadily crept on.

I was revised to a sleeve in December 2019 and I'm not sure I could really recommend it. Its a much easier tool to live with than a band, but the change to digestion (the band doesnt do that) along with my already dodgy guts means I now live with frequent diarrhoea - and in particular occasional foamy, white, fatty stool. I'm definitely lactose intolerant but also cant really handle meat (it gives me dumping symptoms and fatty diarrhoea). My digestion is just abysmal although I do seem to be OK nutrient wise apart from iron, which I tend to get low in. I had a lot of radiation damage to my rectal stump and surrounding tissue which is why I elected to have a colostomy when the ileostomy reversal/jpouch was too hard to live with. I fear if I didnt have a colostomy now I would definitely be suffering continence issues with the state of what comes out of me!

But yes, my weight is fine again. That's something at least.
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

I finally had to eat less to loose weight. I was overeating before. They never broke my fat sucker with the ileostomy surgery for my Crohns.. I have kept the 40 lbs off for more than 10 years and for the first time in my adult life have a normal BMI. I don't feel fat either. You don't get to go back to the old ways of eating.
Caroline
starlight

Post by starlight »

I have a colostomy and due to med-resistant C-diff I had a fecal microbiota transfer. Since that procedure I have put on 25 pounds, not doing anything differently diet or exercise wise. I wonder if I could have a gastric sleeve done since I had a sigmoid volvulus with perforation surgery.
lolapergola

Post by lolapergola »

Anyone else had any experience of bands/sleeves /bypass after their colostomy ? it's really difficult to shift weight now .
thanks
Lola.x
Sarahslim8004

Post by Sarahslim8004 »

Hi, just in case anyone is still around, I am having a gastric sleeve done in 2 weeks and I have an ileostomy
lolapergola

Post by lolapergola »

That's great Sarah .Will you report back nd let us know it went and how you are ? I'd love to know ,
thanks
Lola.
Sunflowers333+

Post by Sunflowers333+ »

Please post back how it goes,and if any complications. I just had a consult apt for the sleeve surgery,but very nervous to have a sleeve vsg surgery with a pouch,history fistulas etc. They say it's appropriate,but makes me nervous!Anyone recently or overall who has had both who is willing share thier experiences would be grateful to hear from.

Ileostomy 1998,Infliximab every 4 weeks,Fistulas
Zekenatalia

Post by Zekenatalia »

Sarahslim8004 wrote: 2021-03-26 15:15:52 Hi, just in case anyone is still around, I am having a gastric sleeve done in 2 weeks and I have an ileostomy
Hi
I was wondering how everything has went for you... the good the bad and the worst? I’d love to hear from you?