Help! I’m trying to decide to get the Jpouch or keep my stoma

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Angela45

Help! I’m trying to decide to get the Jpouch or keep my stoma

Post by Angela45 »

Hello to everyone
I’m new to the board. I had my entire colon removed September 29 2017 and after I took a staph infection that set my healing back by a couple months . My wound opened up got 2 pockets of infection inside but thanks to the almighty I have finally healed and my stoma works real good. I just don’t know if all the risks of surgery are worth going back under the knife. It’s a nice thought to be without the bag but it is manageable and so nice to be able to sit through a stoplight without having the urge to poop my pants! I had UC and was diganossed when I was 19 years old I’m 47 now and due to the progression of the UC and tumors cancer stage 2 and 3 required chemo after surgery....is it worth it to have a jpouch? Anyone had a success story or anything similar to mine? Any response would be appreciated! Oh and I have always worked my entire life and have been so depressed not working tried to go back to work for about 3 weeks but bag busted because pancaking I was so embarrassed I ran home and quit my job.....I just dread the next surgery so bad!!! They want to do it October 3rd 2018.
BillV

Re: Help! I’m trying to decide to get the Jpouch or keep my stoma

Post by BillV »

Hi Angela,
Welcome to the board. Please let me preface my response by saying that there is no “right” answer to your question, only what would be best for you and the life you lead. When considering additional surgery, it is best that you be in reasonably good physical condition, which could mean delaying surgery a bit. Any surgery has its risks, which must be weighed against the benefits. When you mention the possibility of a J pouch, I would assume that your anus was not removed when you had your colectomy. Your surgeon should test the strength of your sphincter muscles to determine if they are suitable for a J pouch. Although the success rate for J pouches is very high, they don’t always turn out as expected for some people. You won’t know how it works for you unless you have that surgery. You may already know that most J pouches require 2 or 3 operations. You surgeon can advise you about that. In the event J pouch surgery is not advisable for you (or you have it and it does not work out), there are two other procedures that do not require having an external bag: the K pouch and the BCIR. You can Google these procedures to learn more about them. Please post any additional questions on this message board.
Bill
Angela45

Re: Help! I’m trying to decide to get the Jpouch or keep my stoma

Post by Angela45 »

Thanks so much for those answers and yes I am healthy except for my weight! I know I need to drop a few pounds before the surgery if I do decide to go through with it. I’m just so nervous because I had such a hard time with the first surgery the removal of my colon. My surgeon said my colon was so bad so he didn’t get to remove my rectum and said he would do that next surgery in Oct form the jpouch then allow 3 months to heal then another surgery to take down my stoma. I really think if I hadn’t of gotten the staph infection I wouldn’t be so afraid.