Hernia Repair and Irrigation

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Murph00

Hernia Repair and Irrigation

Post by Murph00 »

Hey All,

First of all I just wanted to say to Lisa, I sincerely hope things are going as well as possible and you and your family are coping with your latest issues. I think of you often.

I recently talked to a surgeon regarding my hernia. He is currently waiting to see my next CT results in December, before making a decision as to whether I'm a good candidate for surgery or not. I really don't expect any issues, except for the ongoing threat of cancer, I am somewhat healthy. He will be using a laparoscopic, modified Sugar Baker Technique and will not be relocating the stoma if we decide to move forward. I am still on the fence and very apprehensive, so I have a couple of questions for those of you that have had their hernia's repaired.

I am aware of the recurrence rates. If your hernia returned, did it come back better, the same or worse than prior to surgery?

Were there any complications due to the mesh?

Did it have any negative or positive effect on your ability to irrigate?

How soon after your surgery we're you able to irrigate again?

Any other insights or information you wish to share would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Murph
Testicular Ca 2007
IV Colorectal Ca 2011
Colostomy 2011
Irrigation 2014
Lung resection x2 2012,17
ot dave

Re: Hernia Repair and Irrigation

Post by ot dave »

Hey Murph.

I had my hernia repaired in July of 2016. It was left in the same location. I think the repair lasted about 6 months. I should insert here, that I had just about every complication possible after the surgery. I got ileus, and my wound got infected and took about 10 months to heal. If it could go wrong, it did! Just part of the deal. My original surgery, total APR, I was out of the hospital and home in 3 days. After the hernia repair, I spent 2 weeks in the hospital.
The hernia is back, and basically the same size as it was the first time. And, I got a bonus hernia higher up on one of the corners of the mesh. Neither are painful or causing problems, so we are leaving them alone right now. We'll have to move the stoma next time. I just met with my surgeon for my annual check up, and he agreed to leave it for now. I didn't want to fix it any time soon as my daughter is graduating high school and getting ready for college, and I'm coaching a travel baseball team right now, so having another impactful surgery interferes with my life plans right now!
I haven't had any trouble with the mesh.
As far as irrigating, I didn't feel up to it for the first few weeks afterward, but once I resumed, it was like riding a bike. My colon took a little longer to adjust as I would have some late returns for the first few weeks, but since, everything has been working as intended.
Hope that helps some.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Murph00

Post by Murph00 »

Thanks Dave!
That helps allot. Sorry to hear you had so many problems with your recovery. That must have been extremely frustrating. My two biggest fears are having the hernia return worse than it was prior, and not being able to irrigate. Irrigation has given me my life back and I can't imagine losing that ability. I never considered gaining a second hernia as a result of the surgery. Certainly something to discuss with my surgeon.

I think I could live with the hernia returning, if it presented and worked the same as it does now. The thing is, I'm in the mind set of "nothing ventured nothing gained". I'll never know unless I try. But do I really want to find out? Decisions, decisions....

All through my cancer treatments when I was given a percentage of success vs limited success, things always went south. So the apprehension is warranted. Now, having said that, I'm still here and in relative good health. We all know others that have not been so lucky!

Best,
Murph
Testicular Ca 2007
IV Colorectal Ca 2011
Colostomy 2011
Irrigation 2014
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Hi Murph,
I have no hernia experience but just wanted to wish you all the best and thank you for thinking of me. I’m hanging in there. Some set backs with an allergic reaction to the oxaliplatin but I started irrigating again! Couldn’t bear the loss of control. That says something about my personality I guess!
Lisa
Lisa
3/14 stage III Rectal cancer
Chemo/Radiation
1/15 APR Colostomy
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I had a small hernia repaired this summer, along with other surgical stuff. My surgeon encouraged me to irrigate the next day, and everything went well.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Murph00

Post by Murph00 »

Good to know Lee. Glad to hear everything went well for you

Thanks,
Murph
Testicular Ca 2007
IV Colorectal Ca 2011
Colostomy 2011
Irrigation 2014
Majorkahuna

Post by Majorkahuna »

After 17 years my Ostomy turned into a hernia. Technically it is a Hernia in the first place. Do not let them rush you out of the hospital. Be sure you do not pick up any infection. They sent me home and a week later I was full of fluid. Went back to surgeon (200 miles) and he used a syringe to extract it. A week later same thing. Went to local surgeon and he performed the same procedure. Another week goes by and I am full of fluid and a temp of 104. I go to the ER and because we are remote they have no idea what to do. Took 8 hours to get an air ambulance to SF. I had an e coli infection I picked up in the hospital from the original surgery. I developed Sepsis and nearly died. Spent another month in the hospital getting IV antibiotics.