Great tips

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Nomadic

Great tips

Post by Nomadic »

I've learned so much from the seasoned Ostomates and cannot recall where I heard this tip but I wanted to give a big thank you to whoever suggested showering without the colostomy bag and using the handheld to "powerwash" the ostomy site in between wafer changes. This was a huge game changer for me. Thank You!
sassie

Re: Great tips

Post by sassie »

makes you feel human again, its the best part of showering or even a bath, nothing attached to the skin....

sassie
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

"naked" showers are refreshing!
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
texazgal

Post by texazgal »

Do you mean you just remove the bag or everything for this? I always shower 'naked' at change time, but hate dealing with wet bags the rest of the time. This solves that and cleans the faceplate if that is what you do.
Nomadic

Post by Nomadic »

Hi Texazgal, I mean remove the bag and use the handheld to clean the stoma with the wafer intact.
texazgal

Post by texazgal »

That's what I thought you meant, but sassie and dave seemed to think it all came off. Makes sense as it does get funky under there. I use a water bottle to rinse when emptying, but it seldom reaches back far enough to clean that area.
sassie

Post by sassie »

If i remove the bag and just leave the wafer on and spray the stoma with the handheld shower the spray will get under the wafer and so its useless, have to replace it. so i remove everything so i'm total naked, So nice too,lol

sassie
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

I never shower with an ostomy pouch on -- it'd be the end of the filter.

I do shower with the face plate on. And also -- when it's time to change it -- "naked." The most comforting solution after ileostomy surgery has been that naked shower with warm water coming down and washing off the soapy water. Relaxes everything. Unfortunately, can also relax the ileostomy so it's necessary to ensure the stoma isn't too active. I'm still trying to figure this out -- how long after eating before my stoma gets active. Depends on many factors ... and still healing so hard to know.

Diane C
sassie

Post by sassie »

I agree Diane, it is the end of the wafer , So why not take it all off and let that water flow with soap all over, its the best to normal i feel...Other nite after a shower i decided to fill the tub for a nice soak "my bad" stoma had different plans and it looked as i lay relaxing like a cow stopped and pooped on my tummy, if i was to move it would be everywhere I banged on the wall seemed like forever to get handed some tissue so i could get up and out, later i had a good laugh about it, It was worth every second of pure freedom"naked".. Only someone with a stoma could relate to any of this...

sassie
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

I have to say doing exactly that. Stripping it off and showering is great.
Taking a simple shower a month after getting it helped me come to complete terms with the whole thing.
It freed me from my prison of a mindset. It was the best feeling in the whole process.
I still remember the feeling. I thought to myself... This is so easy.
I never looked back.
As for making sure it doesn't get active I quit eating at midnight and change at noon.
98 times out of 100 it won't do anything for a long time. I leave it off for about a half hour.
Of course I have had episodes. But we all do. But we don't want those because it makes it so damn difficult to get a wafer on while active. Lol.
Ahhh. Neeked shuurs. Lol. Does feel good.
Richard.
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

Yes on showers ! I've no idea why but right now, my stoma is super active in the AM even if I stop eating at 6 pm. We're all different. So I find I must wait for hours (not working right now) -- until about noon -- and try to hydrate but not eat. I know my system is changing and feel as though I'm a scientist in a lab with a hypothesis -- and get proven wrong often!

Do you remember being young and hating showers or baths? I am a shower person -- and now for the reason that Sassie mentioned -- but ohhh, I do love it when that water hits my skin!

I'd like to take the time to soak my feet -- NOT my whole body which is healing -- in Epsom salts or magnesium flakes. I'm looking forward to that -- relaxation. And magnesium can get absorbed through the soles. It might cause some output but more important, it relieves stress! Mmmmm.

Diane C
Nomadic

Post by Nomadic »

I should have specified that I had a colostomy, not sure if ileostomy wafers dislodge more easily, so my apologies. Diane C, et al; I miss baths but did not think I could enjoy tub soaking anymore--am I wrong? I'm not an irrigator, it's not recommended for me at this fresh stage of my New Normal. I have read about stoma caps for swimming but to be honest, I'm spending so much money already on devices, clothing etc.
Gooeyduk

Re: Great tips (for showering)

Post by Gooeyduk »

I use the following trick for showering......... Using the Hollister two piece system, I take a used pouch and cut the bottom half off. Then to shower, I merely install the shortened pouch upside down and fold the trimmed end down and secure it closed with a couple of paper clips. While in the shower I usually remove the modified pouch for a while and use the hand held sprayer to blast clean the exposed surface of the flange, being careful not to blow water between the stoma and the edge of the flange. I have used the same trimmed pouch through dozens of showers by carefully rinsing it out after use.