bags failing now?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ostommy

bags failing now?

Post by ostommy »

After a year of this stoma, it is like my bags are now failing at an alarming rate, one after only 3 hours, all at the same spot, where my bent leg, sitting, makes a fold on my abdominal wall,the major brands, I haven't gained that much weight?
oliveoyl

Re: bags failing now?

Post by oliveoyl »

Hi ostommy,
By "fail", do you mean a leak? Eakin seals around your stoma can stop that kind of a leak. You can find instructions on how to use them on YouTube. Just type in Eakin Seal. The major companies all have their own brand of seal of that type, they are all good.
Olive
Crohn's. 2 stomas. Permanent ileostomy, mucous fistula
"I yam what I yam." Popeye
woodstock69

Post by woodstock69 »

I had my j pouch for 30 years. I developed fistulas in 2012 and had multiple repairs. I had a temp ostomy that was reversed two years ago and I was having difficulty gaining weight, finding foods to eat, being in the bathroom 30 times a day and felt the fistula had returned so I opted to have the j pouch excised. I have a new permanent ostomy this time and have had numerous issues , skin allergies to many products and leaky bags requiring multiple bag changes, one day 28 times in 24 hours. My skin was terribly excoriated but has since cleared up for the most part. I had to get samples from all the major companies and edgepark. I have a lopsided stoma, perfect on the bottom, sunken on top flush to skin, I have no choice but to use convex appliances which hurt terribly. My skin above the flange is still bruised. I tried every barrier ring and found the best solution to be eakin cohesive paste, unlike all the other pastes, it works great, trio makes one too and they also make convex rings that are silicone and barrier strips like brava but silicone. My problem is medicare allotment. Does anyone know what company is the least expensive as I will have to pay cash for more appliances. Edgepark takes medicare but their prices are extremely high. Any suggestions are appreciated. By the way, coloplast has far superior products in my opinion, they don't smell at all like others with inadequate filters and they have great wife openings making cleaning easier, sensura mio flip is a new convex I am waiting to try. I use sensura mio soft convex 1 pc I am waiting for a new order of light convex 2 pc.
BillV

Post by BillV »

Woodstock69, I also had to have my J pouch removed after 30 years due to recurrent high grade dysplasia and a malignant polyp in the anal canal. Since I strongly did not want an end ileostomy, I opted to get a BCIR (similar to a K pouch). For these procedures, the surgeon creates an internal pouch that is emptied at your convenience 3-5 times a day with a small plastic catheter. No external bag is required. I have had no external skin irritation, my total supply cost is about $100 per year, I can do any physical activity I want and am able to eat a normal diet. I mention these things in case you are unable to satisfactorily resolve the problems you are having with your ileostomy. A large percentage of people getting a BCIR have converted from a permanent ileostomy because of problems like those you are having. As far as your supplies are concerned, I suggest that you get prices from several suppliers that accept Medicare. You can appeal Medicare’s supply quantity limits with a written statement from your doctor that additional supplies are medically necessary. Please feel free to send me a PM with any questions you might have.
smashms

Post by smashms »

i have had my stony since 2011 i have gone thru i don't even know how many issues with bag failure most recently i was changing every day. thankfully my skin has gotten better now changing every 2-3 days. i go thru spurts where my skin will be raw and seeping so nothing will stick properly. i have found and even when everything is sticking great still use the 2 inch safe and simple arcs they give me the security that i should have no leaks. i still carry a change or 2 with me however just in case. and i always have an extra extra supply of product incase i ever have to go back to changing everyday or every few hours.
neurogenic bladder and T6 paraplegic ileal conduit 2/15/2011
sassie

Post by sassie »

I called medicare and was told that if your Doc writes a script they will honor it, Lady said we are not all the same but it requires a script from your Doc. and they will allow more supplies...

Best of luck, sassie