Need some help...

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Soninlaw

Need some help...

Post by Soninlaw »

I found this message board and I am looking for some insight and any information/experience you have would be greatly appreciated.

My mother in law is the owner of a new BCIR, she went with this surgery because the tape and adhesive would not stay on her port with her ilelstomy bag. She has not had the best of times with the BCIR. She has has fistulas and has had a value slip. I understand that basics of how a fistula forms and I have seen what pain it can cause.

I know there is a certain failure rate w/ the BCIR, but I have not found any information explaining why or how these BCIR's are failing.

Once you have an autoimmune disease you always do. What correlation does having a untreated autoimmune disease and having recurring abscess leading to fistulas.

This process has been extremely trying on our family and I hope that I can get some answers.

Thank you in advance!
BillV

Re: Need some help...

Post by BillV »

I am sorry to hear about the problems your mother in law is having with her new BCIR. I cannot relate from personal experience to the problems she is having since my 5+ years with a BCIR has been a pretty smooth ride. If I do encounter problems later on, I would want to do whatever is necessary to keep the pouch and the quality of life it has provided me with. You can get more information by viewing posts on the “Continent Diversions” forum on this web site or the “K-Pouch Korner” forum on the J Pouch Group website. Undoubtedly, she will want to discuss her problems with the surgeon who did her BCIR. Many of these problems can be resolved by additional surgery or other treatments. Only about 6% cannot be resolved and need to go back to the bag.