Recently received Urostomy (A RANT)

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
RWorrilow

Recently received Urostomy (A RANT)

Post by RWorrilow »

Have colostomy for over 5 years. But do to VERY severe incontinence I've gotten a urostomy. My wife and I have gotten the changing it procedure FAST because of the colostomy I have.
But my question is: I was NEVER told that most of my Prostate would be removed. My Dr. did tell me that I would have ED for about 6 months that may be permanent? Glad that didnt happen..? The DR.s nurse told me that after the surgery. that It would be just as I had a vasectomy. Is this the case? Im very upset with this surgeon, Because none of this was explained to me. All I was ever told OVER and OVER was that I would have ED for several monthsThat could be perm. But most guys will understand this? Before our surgeries (wife had a complete Hysterectomy) We were like rabbits, We are now in our early 50s, And I realize things slow down, But now at around 10 we just go to sleep. I forget what being intimate is?
I truly hope my rant didn't offend anyone? Just hoping to find someone that might understand an explain to me what happened?
53 yr old male confined 2 a WC. Colonostomy surgery 05/29/2014
Jono

Re: Recently received Urostomy (A RANT)

Post by Jono »

What did you have the surgery for? (I get the incontinence part, but what was going on with your prostate, and why are you wheelchair-bound?)
I can probably help you piece together the story if youre comfortable sharing some detail.
RWorrilow

Re: Recently received Urostomy (A RANT)

Post by RWorrilow »

his nurse told me that a portion of the prostate was removed, seminal vesicles removed/disconnected. Had the surgery, because of BAD incontinence (a 3 second wait, then the bladder did its thing) prior to the surgery I had a Foley cath That was changed every month. I'm in a wheelchair from Lyme disease. I was bitten by i tic in the 70s and didnt get symptom until the late 90s (I didnt know anything was wrong with me. I finished my high school. 4 years in the service A 1st marriage.
53 yr old male confined 2 a WC. Colonostomy surgery 05/29/2014