Apparel alteration

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Nomadic

Apparel alteration

Post by Nomadic »

I think this will only apply to ladies and this may only be a new idea to me but I thought I'd share anyway. I altered my spanx tank top and bottoms to accommodate my ostomy simply by cutting a hold and stitching around the hole with elastic thread. It worked really well under my church clothes today.
nickolas

Re: Apparel alteration

Post by nickolas »

Sounds like good idea. Me, I wear a hernia belt for my colostomy, my bag totally disappears with the belt. I was told prior to my surgery, almost 15 yrs ago, to wear busy pattern clothes in that area. Generally it's not a problem, butt it has been years since I wore a solid color swim suit. My swim suits today have flower patterns or a nice twist pattern somewhere on it.

Nickolas
rectal cancer 2004
stage IIIC
permanent colostomy
NED 15yrs and counting
Button

Post by Button »

Nordic:
Great idea. Thank you for sharing your creativity in altering a spanx camisole to accommodate an ostomy pouch. Spanx garments offer a nice inward pressure gradient on the abdomen to help prevent develop of a hernia.

You have a distinctly valuable skill in being able to sew to alter clothing. I envy you and wish I had been more attentive in high school home economics.

For people like me who are forever challenged with a sewing machine, there is ComFizz. ComFizz is a British-based company that specializes in undergarments for individuals with an ostomy. Camisoles, briefs, boy shorts, hernia support belly bands, and stoma guards. For both men and women. Their product line is Top Notch.

www.comfizz.com
Karen
Intestine perforation, sepsis, ileostomy, 2012
Addison’s disease + endocrine failure
Palliative Care
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Come to the UOAA National Conference in Philly this August. There will be a fashion show specifically designed to highlight clothing choices for the Ostomate.
Gooeyduk

Post by Gooeyduk »

Nicolas..........I frequently wear an hernia belt but the ostomy bag remains outside of the belt. I frequently have to wear slacks, white shirt and sports jacket for professional or social events. How do you tuck the shirt in ? How do you hide the bag ? Keeping the sports jacket buttoned all the time to hide the bag is very uncomfortable.
..........Ben
Button

Post by Button »

Ben:
You can look at using a “belly band” over your ostomy pouch to give your abdomen a smooth contour and provide camaflouge.

Belly bands are 6”-8” wide tubes of stretchy Lycra or spandex. A white colored belly band would be paired with your white dress shirts.

As an alternative, you could wear a V-neck or crew-neck T-shirt made of Lycra or spandex. OTDave has mentioned that he regularly wears the Armour brand of men’s light compression T-shirts.
Karen
Intestine perforation, sepsis, ileostomy, 2012
Addison’s disease + endocrine failure
Palliative Care
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Yeah, the Under Armour compression shirts help keep the pouch close to the body, but also allow it to fill as needed. I tuck the tail of the pouch into the waistband of my pants. That usually gives me 2/3 of the pouch for output if needed. I'm an irrigator, so most days, my pouch remains empty. Also, I wear pants with elastic waistbands...mostly sweat pants or khakis. Haven't really found any jeans that work well for me yet. I have very narrow hips, so I've never had luck finding pants that stayed up without a belt. However, pants with elastic waist bands do the trick. I have also found some suspenders that work really well too. They only have two clips. One on each side, instead of 4 clips. They are from the Duluth Trading Company. The compression shirts work well for me. Oh, and I buy the shirts 2 sizes too small...gives me more of a feeling of support all around. All of that might sound confusing, so, if you want to keep reading, this is my routine for using all of this stuff together every morning...when wearing khakis to work. Underwear, I have two hernias, so I also wear an abdominal binder everyday. The compression shirt goes over the binder. I put the pants on with the suspenders. Then whatever shirt I'm going to wear. Now, I don't tuck my shirt in... But if you are needing to wear a sport jacket, I would skip the compression shirt, tuck the shirt into the waistband, and then place the suspenders outside the shirt, and then wear a sweater vest. Gives your a tucked in look while hiding the suspenders...mine have become pretty worn, and look a little ratty, but continue to work well.

That was a lot of words to say that I use the compression shirts!

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

Gooeyduk wrote: 2019-02-14 07:32:07 Nicolas..........I frequently wear an hernia belt but the ostomy bag remains outside of the belt. I frequently have to wear slacks, white shirt and sports jacket for professional or social events. How do you tuck the shirt in ? How do you hide the bag ? Keeping the sports jacket buttoned all the time to hide the bag is very uncomfortable.
..........Ben
My two cents.
I just bought a couple new shirts from Untuckit.
They are meant and tailored to be untucked and look and fit nice.
Perfect for me and my ileostomy.
A little pricy. But I get the ones on sale.
Richard.
Gooeyduk

Post by Gooeyduk »

Thanks guys (and gal).
To what extent do you have the bag under compression from the clothing items that go over it and tucked into your belt ? I’ve afraid that anything that tends to squeeze the stoma back into your belly will cause output to be forced under the flange and then leak out. For that reason I’m very reluctant to use the flap on my binder belt that’s intended to restrain the stoma.
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

The only thing I wear is an ostomy wrap. Even when I was working. Mainly just from keeping the bag from getting caught up in my jeans somewhere. It's not tight and I don't even notice I have it on. Even with the work I did I never considered a hernia belt.
(I hate any type of belt). My jeans are snug enough to stay up or on on their own.
Richard.
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Gooeyduk wrote: 2019-02-16 08:27:24 Thanks guys (and gal).
To what extent do you have the bag under compression from the clothing items that go over it and tucked into your belt ? I’ve afraid that anything that tends to squeeze the stoma back into your belly will cause output to be forced under the flange and then leak out. For that reason I’m very reluctant to use the flap on my binder belt that’s intended to restrain the stoma.

I keep it pretty snug, but keep in mind, that I irrigate, so routinely don't have output during the day. But, the compression shirts to have enough "give" to allow the pouch to fill. You just don't want to leave it there for a long time, as that will definitely help create a leak.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

Hi all,

Like Button/Karen, I WISH I could sew! I did fine in cooking but don't even recall how to put thread on a bobbin in a sewing machine (if that jargon is still up-to-date). And also like Button/Karen, I really like the Comfizz products. However, since I've had my ileostomy in November, many of the products I want have been out of stock. :( https://comfizz.com/product/10waistband-unisex-level1/ I wanted a soft "binding" around my abdomen soon after surgery to keep all the wound bandages in place but now that's unnecessary. I did find two pieces of polyester/spandex (elasticized) clothing (name?) that could be worn around the abdomen, used as a scarf, or for the hair (multi-functional -- found in a hospital gift store) but they ride and roll up. When I had my colostomy before Nov 1., I really enjoyed wearing the underpants made by Comfizz. I don't wear them now as I'm concerned that my stool will pancake in the pouch and seep out as mentioned above. Frankly -- and this is embarrassing -- most of the time, I'm wearing an irrigation sleeve under my slacks. Forget wearing a skirt or a dress.

However, I honestly don't know what to order from Comfizz at this point. Sigh, I'm still having issues with leakage. Grrrr. My abdomen is still puffy or distended. The surgeon and GI doc said this will take a while although the latter encouraged me to start doing stomach exercises pronto -- even clenching my muscles and letting them relax -- and clenching again. I only consume cooked veggiesand pureed fruits but I am eating quite a bit of protein now as I'm trying to heal the wound where my rectum was (entire rectum was removed due to diversion colitis). Yep, this posterior wound is taking its sweet time to heal and is still about 6 cm deep although the diameter is starting to close. I thought the supplement, Juven -- with protein and recommended by the wound care nurses -- was causing the gas but it's not. I went without it for 4 days. I'm trying not to eat dairy or, if I do, to take Lactaid. I generally don't eat gluten but sometimes get such a sour stomach feeling and sour dough bread or plain crackers seem to help. I'm trying to eat small meals and hydrate and cannot figure out the reason for so much gas unless that's just how my dad and I were created. I've held off on Immodium but the amount of output is truly aggravating... drip, drip, drip.

I've used Stomahesive strips where the abdominal skin is uneven due to prior and recent surgery, seals under the Durahesive Convatec wafer or Hollister one (2-piece) but I still leak. I'm going to the Wound Clinic this Friday because of the wound but will get advice on leakage as well.

I can't see wearing the wonderful Comfizz underwear while I am leaking. I'm already doing a lot of laundry and don't want to add more. At times, I wear pull-ups to avoid staining panties. I just do not get it. I was healing so well at first but have definitely hit a snag. I admit it's getting to me and affecting productivity. Also, we keep hearing that the stoma has no nerve endings. However, I can attest that when the acidic output hits a part of my stoma at its tip -- and definitely the skin right near the stoma -- ouch! Stings! Since a home health nurse has been coming due to the surgical wound, she must order my supplies. Luckily, I had a stash of Convatec and Hollister 2-piece ostomy wafers and barriers but this past week, I used 4 barriers due to the leakage. :(

Anyway, if you have any suggestions re what to buy at Comfizz among the products that ARE in stock or brilliant ideas about the gas, please do help. Someone suggested I still could be dealing with motility issues -- just as I did with a colostomy. That may be true. If I have string beans, although I chew pretty well, I see the remnants about 24 hours later... and thought it'd be sooner.

I know my situation is far easier than that faced by many on the board. So I feel awkward complaining. Thanks for any help. If you need clarification on what I'm searching for, I'll try to make it clearer -- though even I feel sort of mystified these days!

Grateful.

Diane C.