Ostomy/Exercise -- worry re: hernias

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
SFdesigner

Ostomy/Exercise -- worry re: hernias

Post by SFdesigner »

Me: 53yr. old woman, bladder cancer, urostomy 1.5 yrs ago.

Finally trying to build up some core strength. I have gotten significantly weak in that regard. Even though I walk daily and play tennis regularly --I have been trying to be careful about my middle. They say not lift heavy things post-ostomy -- that doing so can lead to hernias. For the new year, I have started an exercise class... not too strenuous, but it involves some crunches and planks -- and I can feel my abdomen straining when I do these things, and sometimes specifically around my stoma (at which time I stop, so that I don't hurt myself).

My question: Does anybody know the physiological connection/comparison between what happens with your muscles when you lift something too heavy that causes a hernia, in comparison with doing something like crunches/planks, which also are clearly engaging your core? Is strain, strain -- and we should avoid most of this activity? Or is lifting particularly dangerous because it engages some other set of muscles, that really aren't involved during crunches/planks?

Are any of you ostomates active with crunches/situps/planks?
Just curious about how cautious I need to be. Thanks.
Jono

Re: Ostomy/Exercise -- worry re: hernias

Post by Jono »

I am an active exerciser as well as one who sports a sigmoid colostomy. I developed a couple of hernias early on, though I suspect they were at least exacerbated by my underlying disease.

I am also a surgeon, and (having had my share of hernias, following operations) I am a firm believer that hernias are largely the result of surgical technique, or, much less likely, underlying patient condition. Exercise, as long as it doesn’t hurt, (I don’t give patients specific lifting restrictions) and the patient isn’t being stupid, (umm, maybe deadlifting 400 lbs 2 weeks out from your surgery isn’t the smartest thing) should not be a problem.
BillGK

Post by BillGK »

I have had a colostomy since 2012.

I do the plank version where you support your body on your toes and elbows, three times a week, religiously I would say. I also do the rocketman thing, sort of the reverse of the plank. I do these things mostly for conditioning of my back, which can be a major problem if you are a 74 year old serious golfer. Before I started doing it my back would go out about once a year due to golf, and I would be sidelined for two weeks. Since I started doing it several years ago my back has gone out exactly once, and I was over it in two days. When I started doing the plank my back was so bad that I could hold it only for five seconds and at that point my back hurt so much that I thought that I was forever doomed to back pain. Now I do it for a fast count of 600, which must be about two minutes, with no back pain whatsoever at the end.

None of which answers your question about hernias. I have no idea what goes on with excercise, muscle tone and stomal hernias. I haven’t had a hernia, knock on wood, but it is always a concern since I have read that nearly 50% of ostomies result in a hernia. I think that Jono has an interesting perspective - surgical techinique may be the answer to the question. That makes a lot of sense to me, although we do have to bear in mind that we have a big hole in the abdominal muscles so in the best case we are still somewhat compromised.

One thing that I am very careful about is lifting. I was told 25#, and if it gets to be much more than that I look for alternative ways of getting the job done. Maybe I don’t have to be quite so careful in the future, based on Jono’s experience.
nickolas

Post by nickolas »

I wear a Hernia belt by Nuhope. It has hole with a hard ring where my stoma bag goes through. My exercise consist of power walking 3-5 times a week for about an hour.

Nickolas
rectal cancer 2004
stage IIIC
permanent colostomy
NED 15yrs and counting
Button

Post by Button »

I wear undergarments designed for individuals with an ostomy by a small family-owned company in England called ComFizz.
I highly recommend their garments - super comfy with no irritating sewing seams and no tags. Top notch quality.

ComFizz has been awarded several honors by the UK health system.

Camisole tops, crew-neck T-shirts, belly bands, stoma guards, briefs/hipsters/boy shorts, hernia support, and more.

www.comfizz.com

There is a international toll free telephone number and internet chat function that you can call for advice on fitting and sizing. Orders arrive via US mail in about 10 days.
Intestine perforation, sepsis, ileostomy, 2012
Addison’s disease + endocrine failure
Palliative Care
dogtalkerer

Post by dogtalkerer »

I probably should be more careful, but I seem to forget a lot. my surgeon told me to keep my stomach flat as it was before surgery and Id be Ok.

ive routinely picked up 90lb cement bags off the ground in summer. I'd agree with jono too. one web site i found stated only 10-15% ostomates end in hernia, while maybe a much higher number on chat sites?
MrMatt

Post by MrMatt »

I have an ileostomy, and am very careful not to do too many ab exercises when I go to the gym, specifically to avoid a hernia. I'm not a body builder, I just go for flexibility and toning, getting out of the house and seeing other adults. Let the young bucks work with all those crazy heavy weights!

The trainers at the gym showed me a few non-plank type exercises, to work your abs and core but not too hard:
-leg raises. standing, slowly raise each knee one at a time so your upper leg is horizontal. Alternate knees. I do 30 of them.
-clamshells. Lying on your side, legs pulled up towards chest, slowly 'open' your top leg to vertical. like a clam opening. Keep your torso perdendicular to the floor. I do 12 each side, 2x.
-bridges. lying on your back, knees up, feet flat on floor. Raise your hips so legs and torso are in line, hold for a few seconds. drop down. I do 10.
-bird dog/pointer, a yoga pose. Get on your hands and knees. looking down at the ground. raise your left leg and right arm so they are horizontal, kinda like a hunting dog pointing. hold for a few seconds. switch to lift your right leg and left arm. I do 30.

Slow and steady as you go. If something hurts. STOP.

You might want to seek out a gym with knowledgeable trainers, who can provide a customized, mellower workout, safe for your physical condition.
MrMatt
1992 FAP, colectomy, J-pouch
2009 acute pancreatitis
2014 ileostomy
2017 Whipple