New to this and need help

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ktimothy59

New to this and need help

Post by ktimothy59 »

I am having issues with the stool getting clumped up in the upper part of the pouch. I do use lubricant and rinse when I empty. It drives me nuts that I cannot empty that portion and I think that’s where I am bothered by the smell. Dear Lord, will I ever get used to this( including imploding pouches). Thanks for any advice
Jimbob

Re: New to this and need help

Post by Jimbob »

Tell us what kind of Ostomy you have, Ileo/Colo. What you are experiencing is called Pancaking. Browse through these posts concerning it.

search.php?keywords=pancaking
ktimothy59

Post by ktimothy59 »

I have a colostomy.
sassie

Post by sassie »

have you tryed irrigating? It really is a great way to clean out and some have little to no output between irrigations...
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

Frankly, I have an ileostomy as of Nov 1 and am dealing with the same. I've heard that using a dab of Convatec Brava Lubricating Deoderant on the filter (if you use one) may help the stool slide down. My filter is pretty much covered with stool within an hour after changing the pouch so I have some doubts. Someone else taped the top of the pouch to the skin, I think, actually to keep the filter clean longer + this may prevent pancaking but I've not figured this out.

What I wear matters. Anything tight around my abdomen and the pancaking occurs. Try clothing that may be looser near your pouch? Still searching for solutionns to this. Long ago, I heard that spraying vegetable oil within the pouch helps with the downward passage of the stool but I am concerned it will compromise the integrity of the pouch.

At night, I sleep with a LOT of pillows and am even considering buying a bed that raises my torso but money is an issue. Comfort matters -- this is lifelong -- so definitely considering. Am lucky in that I fall asleep (too) easily. But with an ileostomy, this is more of an issue than I had with my colostomy where, yes, you can irrigate. See the Irrigators' Forum for much help with irrigation.

Good luck to both of us!

Diane C
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Just a suggestion. I've been using a bed wedge for acid reflux which seems at least for me to have helped somewhat with the pancaking problem.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
nickolas

Post by nickolas »

What product are you using? Hollister, Convatec, ??

Nickolas
rectal cancer 2004
stage IIIC
permanent colostomy
NED 15yrs and counting