New urostomy question

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
daniee73

New urostomy question

Post by daniee73 »

Hi everyone,

I'm two weeks post op for a urostomy. I'm really struggling with the bag getting wet from all of the mucous production. The bottom of the bag comes loose and leaks and I'm changing my bag daily.

How long will the mucous production last? Any suggestions on how to deal with it??

Thanks!
Danielle
smashms

Re: New urostomy question

Post by smashms »

1st off don't get discouraged. what products are you using are you using a barrier ring? if your not using a barrier ring i would suggest trying one and see if that gives you a bit more wear time. i use a ring and a brava half circle strip https://www.coloplast.us/brava-elastic- ... en-us.aspx like the ones in this link. i would also recommend find a good WOCN to consult either in an office or by calling the major manufacturers who have staff that you can speak to. Hollister is the products i use mostly however coloplast and convatec are the other 2. they all have WOCN's you can speak to and will assist you in finding which one of their products will work best. the first few months are the hardest as you are still trying to find an appliance that will work best for you.
neurogenic bladder and T6 paraplegic ileal conduit 2/15/2011
downttb+-wh

Re: New urostomy question

Post by downttb+-wh »

I use Hollister to and the mucus does not stop. Are you sure it's not just the moister from your skin? I have to make sure that I have cotton underwear that lays between my bag and skin of else my bag gets moisture from my skin.