Odor control

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ktimothy59

Odor control

Post by ktimothy59 »

Please let me know your best defense against odor control. Sometimes I gag myself with my smell. I do not have cDiff or diarrhea, just odor. I had a colonoscopy and everything was clear. I do use Bravo lubricant deodorant and stay away from the known foods that cause odor. I am still new to this world but am now to the point that “Flo” is keeping me homebound. Thanks for any advice.
ktimothy59

Re: Odor control

Post by ktimothy59 »

PS....forgot to say it’s a colostomy
sassie

Post by sassie »

do you use pouches with filters? if i use a non filtered pouch "Alice" stinks, with a filtered pouch i do not smell her..."colostomy as well".

P.S. I think the smell comes with that mucus if she is doing lots of that.Sometimes there is no smell and i will check and no mucus so seems its that nasty stuff that stinks so bad...
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

I haven't found anything that helps to reduce odor. For me, when I have output, I rinse the pouch out with warm water when I empty the pouch. This removes all of the output, which in turn takes any odor causing substance with it...
To make sure I don't have any odor, I make sure I don't have output by irrigating everyday. With a colostomy, you can try irrigation to control output. Works for me and many others. I irrigate each morning and that leaves me output free for at least 24 hours. With diet and immodium, I can stretch it past 48 hours. Check the irrigation forum and read the "sticky" notes at the top to see if it is something you might be interested in trying. Irrigation gave me back control of my output. I'm living my life just like I did before having the ostomy, and that is because of the irrigation.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
sassie

Post by sassie »

I also irrigate but Alice still spits out mucus between irrigations and that stinks, Yes irrigation is so great and i would hope anyone that can do it, gives it a few tries to see how much better life can be, Agrees totalty with dave..
poucher

Post by poucher »

I tried several odor control drops. The only one that works for me is M9 from Hollister. It used to be covered by insurance, but no longer. I also find that rinsing after emptying the pouch helps, but doesn't eliminate the odor.
JohnCarr

Post by JohnCarr »

Devrom-3 tablets daily results in no order for my ileostomy. I have used them for 10+ years. Available over the counter at www.devrom.com. (P.S. I am a stinker without them.)
courage50

Post by courage50 »

Something to remember: irrigation is not for you if you have IBS (per my WOCN).
I struggled with odor for quite awhile. Here's what works for me: I use Hollister's Adapt lubricant along with 2 squirts of Hollister's M9 liquid deodorizer. Also, i use Colomajic pouch liners. These are removed from the pouch and flushed.
hope this helps,
Marci
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

I have an ileo. But the best thi g I have used and it dowles work.
Just A Drop.
Can get it in Amazon. It's a little pricy but it lasts a long time if you do just use a drop.
It creates a film in the water. And keeps the smell to a bare minimum. Your still gonna get a wiff no matter what you do but adding a drop of this to the toilet water will surprise you on how well it keeps the smell under control.
Richard.
Rchodos1

Post by Rchodos1 »

Have you tried popping in a few peppermint Altoids? Don’t laugh, they work. Keep it simple😎
lp1964

Post by lp1964 »

Flat-D.com has many charcoal products to fight odor. I use some and love it.
All the best!
Colostomy After Stage 3 Rectal Cancer Surgery
"Grace + Attitude = Gratitude"
Dog lover 23320

Post by Dog lover 23320 »

I rinse my bag every time I empty it. I have an
Ileostomy
Jenifer, 40.
Dx: stage 2 rectal cancer, LAR, rediagnosed stage 1,Temp Ileostomy
hastings

Post by hastings »

No odor problem for the past 9 years. Suddenly having occasional smell. Wondering if there is an increase in mucus. I use Convatec closed pouches.
Permanent colostomy
Rectal cancer