Gallbladder surgery with existing ileostomy?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Seeclearly

Gallbladder surgery with existing ileostomy?

Post by Seeclearly »

My mother has had an ileostomy for decades. She was recently diagnosed with gallstones and told she needed gallbladder removal surgery. Whether they do the procedure laparoscopically (through several small incisions in the abdomen) or through one large abdominal incision, the stoma would seem to be in the middle of (or at least very close to) the operative site.

I have looked and looked on the Web but cannot seem to find info about this situation. Granted that we will be discussing this with a surgeon as soon as possible (the appt. is weeks off) can anyone tell me anything? Other people with ileostomies must have needed general surgery of some kind. How is this handled? I am really hoping that she will be a candidate for a laparoscopic procedure, which would be much easier on her than an open one.
Jono

Re: Gallbladder surgery with existing ileostomy?

Post by Jono »

Nothing about an iliostomy precludes a lap choly per se, the bigger concern is the amount of intra-abdominal adhesions present as the result of the origional pathology, and subsequent interventions.
Talk about it with the surgeon, but it probably isn’t as much of an issue as you are concerned that it is.
Seeclearly

Post by Seeclearly »

Thanks for the encouraging words, Jono. I really appreciate it.

What you say seems to accord with the studies I’ve been reading. I just hope the statistics include enough people with existing ileostomies to be relevant. Mostly they refer simply to people with prior lower abdominal surgeries.

I’m hoping the general surgeon will tell us candidly if Mom’s odds would be a lot better with a more highly specialized surgeon. Then I would hope to find one who could see her soon—the best surgeons seem very busy, and she is in pain.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

I had it performed back in '89 & I'm sure things have improved since then. I do experience more liquid output from the ileo, but then I have shortened small bowel from resections back in the '60s prior to the ostomy in '77. It might be worth discussing with your mother's ostomy nurse preop. Prayers & wellness wishes to you both.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
JerryNYC

Post by JerryNYC »

Try to find a surgeon who is expert at laparoscopy for gallbladder removal. My wife had this done a few years back and she was home the next day. But she had no prior abdominal surgeries (except for two cesarean sections). Open surgery involves a longer recovery. But with your mother's prior surgical history, she likely has abdominal adhesions that would make it difficult for even skilled surgeons to find their way around inside. The gallbladder is on the upper right side of the abdomen, so it is possible that adhesions from prior surgeries might not interfere with gallbladder visualization and removal. So, try to find a surgeon who does laparoscopies. Even then, as is common with laparoscopies, if the surgeon has difficulties, he/she will then scrub the attempt and move to open surgery. Talk to the surgeon and discuss these issues. Where is your mother located? Maybe someone here has suggestions about a surgeon.
polack4

Post by polack4 »

I have an ileostomy, and years later I had gallbladder surgery.

There never seemed to be a question with my, general surgeon. He gave me both options, and a third.
He would try laparoscopy, and if he couldn't get through, he would take the gallbladder out with the regular surgery.
It was a no brainer for me.
Turned out he couldn't get there from here, so full blown surgery was preformed.
awesomeame

Post by awesomeame »

How did your surgery end up going?

I'm an ileo and also up for gallbladder removal.

Just wondering if anyone can chime in on what the stoma output it like without a gallbladder?

Thanks

Matt
Dec 31 2006: Proctocolectomy/perm ileo