What to expect post-surgery

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Jojo20

What to expect post-surgery

Post by Jojo20 »

I am glad I found this group and hope I am posting in the right place.

I had an emergency colostomy last September and my reversal surgery a few weeks ago. I am now home recuperating. I still have some stomach pain and have had bouts of diarrhea. My question is can anyone who had reversal surgery last year let me know if your symptoms have gone away or changed enough to have a normal life.

My situation mirrors so many of yours. I don't know many (if any) people who have ever had this type of surgery so I am hoping some of you can help me with my questions.
mshriver1

Re: What to expect post-surgery

Post by mshriver1 »

I have diverticulitis. Colon perforated and had sigmoid colostomy. 10 months later, I had it reversed. I was chicken, could have done it sooner. Reversal recovery was easier even combined with hysterectomy and hernia repair. It took 72 hours for colon to wake up and start working postop. First 48 hours typical, had morphine pump, painful to walk but was up the next morning. Felt good a week out and was resuming most activities. Its been 13 years. Underlying issues still there.