New Hollister product problems

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Elizabeth

New Hollister product problems

Post by Elizabeth »

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this board but have had an ileostomy for 20 years. Hollister recently discontinued my favorite wafers and pouches to upgrade to a new flimsy/flexible two-piece "upgrade." the rings that snap together are separating at the bottom of the ring slightly enough to let some liquid escape! I am a teacher and I can not smell like that during the day. Is anyone else having this problem?

I used to use Hollister premier convex with floating flange wafer 8733, with the 8812 pouch. I have never had any problems with the wafer and pouch unsnapping.
    Now I have chosen the same type of convex floating flange wafer13903 and pouch 18122.

I called Hollister to ask what to do and the person on the line told me that I needed to make sure that I fully snap it together. Huh? 20 years at this, a teacher, I am very sure that I am snapping the wafer and pouch together correctly. In fact, I pinch it to check every time I empty, but no luck. I feel like I need to add a silicone seal around the snap just to be safe. Maybe that is my only option.

I tried Convatec for a while when I first had my surgery, but I became allergic to the adhesive, so I switched to Hollister.

Help!
    Ileo. 98'
    UC
    ot dave

Re: New Hollister product problems

Post by ot dave »

Sorry you're struggling with the new appliance. Have you tried snapping them together when they are not on your body. Maybe you could see if there is an angle or something that you may not be able to see when you are applying it while it is on your abdomen. I've been using Hollister 2 piece system for over 10 years, and I've not had many instances where the pouch didn't snap properly onto the flange, but it was always something I did wrong. To this day, if I don't hear that audible "snap", I take it off and try again.
    Maybe starting the application at the bottom of the flange and getting that good snapping sound might be something to try, and then that way you could make sure that is sealed before you work your way to the top...

Hope you find and answer.

David
    stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
    "Gatoring since 2010"
    Psalms 91:2
    To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

'Sorry to hear of your problem & know how frustrating that can be. As Dave suggests, before attempting every appliance change I try to remember to snap the two pieces together to be sure they fit properly. I use ConvaTec's two piece Durahesive moldable wafer system which they have improved for a tight seal. You can hear the clicks as the pouch attaches.

I also learned a trick from this board that has proven invaluable. I moisten one of my square cotton wipes with plain water & rub it around the inner coupling ring on the clean wafer immediately before I make the attachment. For some inexplicable reason it has worked.
    Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
    Multiple Bowel Resections
    Ileo '77 Revision '85
    Celiac Dx
    Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Thanks for the ideas! I do snap the bottom of the seal first and hear an audible snap. As for snapping it together first before applying the wafer, I cannot be sure it is centered properly without seeing that the ring is centered over the stoma as I apply it. Convatec products cause a weepy red rash where the tape is applied. I have used Hollister for 20 years with no problem until they discontinued my favorite product this past year. This new wafer and ring on the pouch are more flexible and thin. I have had two c-sections and I think that the shape of my body and skin are causing the bottom of the ring to separate from the pouch ring.

I will try seeing if the two pieces will fully snap together and pull apart before I apply it to my body. I will also try to moisten the ring with the technique that OT Dave suggested. Otherwise I have tried to snap that spot every time I empty, and it seems to be secure. I had a horrible day today and even had a leak during an assembly. :(

I came home and carefully added a line of low temp hot glue on the bottom half where the two pieces come together to try to seal it. I just can't believe this is happening after all these years of confidence. I barely ever thought of my appliance while doing all sorts of very active things. I hike, mountain bike, obedience train dogs, get down on the floor to play games with my students, etc...

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will try them for sure.

E
    Ileo. 98'
    UC
    Bob Webtech
    Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

Hi Elizabeth,

About the choice of replacement product, Hollister's conversion chart for their discontinued "CenterPointLock" line at http://www.hollister.com/%7E/media/file ... .pdf?la=en suggests that the replacement for the 8733 wafer is model 11503, not 13903.

However, as far as I can tell, the only difference between the 11503 and 13903 wafers is the type of skin barrier material (older "Flextend" or newer "CeraPlus"). They probably have the same flange coupling which you described as "flimsy."

If the flange coupling on Hollister's current "New Image" 2-piece line won't work for you, you might consider trying one of their 1-piece products (even if you've been using 2-piece for 20 years, it may be reasonable to give 1-piece a shot). Hollister 1-piece models with convexity and a Flextend or CeraPlus barrier and precut openings in your size include models 8661, 8961, 8991, 8281, 8291, 82611 and 8611.

You might also want to check offerings from other companies. Coloplast has many 2-piece products with a locking flange that wouldn't be likely to suffer the separation problem you experienced. ConvaTec may have newer products with different adhesives than the one you tried.
    Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
    Button

Post by Button »

Elizabeth:
    I wore Hollister for the first months with my ileostomy, using a two piece system with the floating flange and Tupperware-snapping type connection between pouch and wafer.

My problem was not that the Tupperware seal did not lock. It did lock. There was no problem with the locking mechanism.

The problem that I experienced was a separation (tear) of the pouch material close/adjacent to the plastic ring that constituted the snapping connection portion of the pouch. It was a failure of the actual fabric. The fabric of the pouch pulled away from the plastic coupling ring. Is this what you are experiencing?

I have been with a Coloplast ever since and have never looked back. Maybe this is an opportune time for you to get some samples from Coloplast or ConvaTech or CyMed - and try something new.

I prefer a one-piece pouch.

Each of the manufacturers offer adhesive coupling systems in their two-piece pouching system. An adhesive coupling system might be worth sampling if you prefer a two-piece ostomy system.
    Karen
    Intestine perforation, sepsis, ileostomy, 2012
    Addison’s disease + endocrine failure
    Palliative Care
    agichk

Post by agichk »

Elizabeth
    Hollister rep called me today to make sure I got my start kit after hospital ostomy nurse sent in and I told her the skin issues I had with their products.
    (I have name & # if you want me to private message as found her helpful though not using her product)

She told me to try any new products on the opposite of the abdomen to make sure no issues. I know this is hard w/the change in bags.

Coloplast has those skin strips that may help as I think they will go on any manufacturer barrier.

I would also see if you have an hospital outpatient ostomy clinic in network so you could see them for help with this problem. I agree with you that hollister needs to do more as the batch of the product maybe too old though new to you. A home health WOC who was at last local ostomy meeting mentioned that to me when get my order from edgepark or any DME company.
    FAP S/P right colectomy 5/06, completion colectomy 2/10 & ileostomy 3/19
    Gig' Em
    Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Hi Button,

I did have similar problems, but it was not the material separating from the wafer. it was the rings separating at the bottom. I think I have figured it out though. I tried all the things suggested and so far this morning all is well again! I will let you all know how it goes.

I appreciate everyone's help!

E
    Ileo. 98'
    UC
    nickolas

Post by nickolas »

Hi Elizabeth,

Welcome. I am coming up on 15 yr survivor of rectal cancer, I see you had UC. When I left the hospital, back in 2004, they gave me Convatec and after a few years, I too developed an allergic reaction to it and switched to Hollister. Was very happy with it. Last year they discontinued my favorite products. Wafer #3722 and bags #8342. The new products they gave me are not very good. Cheap and wimpy are the 2 words I would use to describe what was sent to me. The bags with the gas passer can clog up in minutes simply by passing gas. The 2nd wafer that I put on, the wafer floating flange split at the seam after less then 12 hrs of putting it on. All I was doing was changing the bag. The good news I was home, but what would have happened if I was out in public say at a restaurant. Sorry folks I smell like I pooped my pants simply because my wafer tore open. The ring itself can actually split after changing the bag a few times., durable is not a word I would use to describe it. I too never had issue with my favorite Hollister products.

Because of these issues and with my husband's support, go online and buy up many of my favorite products until I find something else. Button turned me on the Coloplast SenSura Mio. If you are not happy with Hollister you might want to check out Coloplast. The last time I spoke with Hollister I gave them an earfull. They pretty much lost me as a customer. I'm always open to trying new products, but until they go back to making my favorite products, I don't think I will be using them anymore.

Nickolas
    rectal cancer 2004
    stage IIIC
    permanent colostomy
    NED 15yrs and counting
    lms1

Post by lms1 »

Hi Elizabeth,

I use the same type of Hollister wafer and bag except not the convex. As OT Dave said, every problem except one has been my error not the product. In one instance the floating flange on the skin barrier actually had a tiny hole. I have used this product exclusively for the past 10 years. You must be very careful to ensure that the bag snaps onto the floating flange. I start at the top and move around ending at the bottom. If I didn't get the snap at the bottom I start over. Good luck!

Linda
    Colostomy Nov 09
    Strangulated hernia, 5.5 feet of small intestine left July 2018
    agichk

Post by agichk »

Elizabeth:
    I hope the success continues!
    FAP S/P right colectomy 5/06, completion colectomy 2/10 & ileostomy 3/19
    Gig' Em
    Nann-55

Post by Nann-55 »

Hey Elizabeth hope all is going well with you.
    I cannot wear Hollister or Convetec due to algeric reaction in the the products. My skin broke out big time, I’m allergic to tapes glue and there might be animal pectin in the products I mention that I’m allergic to. Coloplast has been awesome. I have piece of mind with this brand. I wear a 2 piece deep convexity. Hope to go back to lite convexity. I need to lose some weight so I might have to stick with deep convexity. February was 3 years for me with a illestomy. Hang in there Nan
    downttb+-wh

Post by downttb+-wh »

I have been using the same system for over 2 years and have not had a problem yet. Sorry I don't have a solution.
    ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

I could never get Hollister New Image to work reliably for me but my problem was that a “click” interface meant a plastic ring irritating my skin. That’s why I had to switch from Convatec. I’ve found Hollister’s soft convex one-piece is the only one piece that is secure on me, but it does work well.
    Char2019

Post by Char2019 »

Elizabeth, I, too, feel the new Hollister materials are not as solid and more difficult to click into place. I do not see how they are an improvement.

I am also new to this discussion board, but am having leakage problems different from Elizabeth's and am very upset. Have had a urostomy for 15 years and just started having problems with the barrier pulling away from my skin, each time at the same area. It did begin when i was still using the old materials but has gotten more frequent since using the new ones.

I am going to try using a barrier ring instead of the paste.. Has anyone ever used those? Have no idea how they will work.

Thanks for any ideas. Am also wondering whether anyone out there has a eurostomy.