A kink in the bowel

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Jim Tornabane

A kink in the bowel

Post by Jim Tornabane »

Has anyone had to deal with a kink in the bowel, just inside the stoma? Sinse my colostomy surgery in 2013, I have had trouble irrigating and emtying my bowel, and allowing gas to pass. A Mayo Clinic Surgeon claims he can help me by preforming a "big surgery," possibly repositioning my stoma.
ot dave

Re: A kink in the bowel

Post by ot dave »

Yes, I have a kink due to a pretty substantial hernia. There are days where I can find the "sweet spot", and I'll have a really good session, then there are days where I don't feel like I should have spent the time! I do not however, have any issue with bowel movements or passing gas. Sounds like that needs to be addressed. Don't want to end up with a blockage.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Jim Tornabane

Post by Jim Tornabane »

Has anyone heard of or experienced an "acute angulation and a sliding component of the colon heading lateral to the opening?" Just curious since that's the language the Doctor is using for my problem.
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Have not heard that...it's a fancy way of saying that there is a short term amount of time that your colon slides around and causes a kink coming from the side of the stoma. It could be a positional issue i.e. how you are positioned (sitting, standing, etc.) What is the doctor's plan of care?
"Gatoring since 2010"
Jim Tornabane

Post by Jim Tornabane »

A complete redo of the colostomy, and a repositioning of the stoma site. It's a big surgery with lots of scare tissue to deal with, but he claims he can fix it.
Mikem

Post by Mikem »

While I believe it could become necessary, I would recommend that as a last option.

Surgeons by nature see surgery as the solution and might not be knowledgeable of alternatives.

I think all of us have kink where the colon turns towards the stoma. It does not appear to be as big a problem for most of us. I would recommend trying a lot of different things before submitting to surgery. Repositioning, message, standing, lying down, changing diet, diet additives, higher water pressure, more volume, twisting, waking around.

Is it noted in your colonoscopies?

Does it interfere with normal bowel function? If not I cannot imaging you could not find a workable solution short of surgery.

Good Luck,
MikeM
Colostomy, A/P Feb 2006 for Stage 1 CRC
Pupuce

Post by Pupuce »

Hello all - I also have a substantiel hernia, and irrigate every morning most ofthe time easily since two years. Some days it feels "stuck". Is that a kink? Iam very careful with my diet : fruit and vegetables every day, rice, pasta, quality protiens, no irritants...I noticed that when I feel "stuck" ( but with great peristalsis) if I lie down, then stool flows easily. What does this tell us? Is it ok to lie down? Is it a danger sign? I am terrified from my hernia; I have no pain, nor discomfort from it, I sometimes wear gentle control panties when I have a "heavy" feeling . I do not want to go through surgery ever again! Corrective surgery for hernia is risky. I am a 75 year old woman, slim (63 kgs) and in good health. From your experiences, please tell me, for how long can I go on like this? Sometimes I am very depressed, but mostly I am a cheerful and active home maker. I feel very scared .... a lot. Thank you all very much. I live in France and have a wonderful stoma nurse - but I want your experienced opinions please
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Hi Pupuce,

I am on my second parastomal hernia. And yes, I have occasions where it won't allow the infusion of the water, or the infusion is so slow that it seems like it is not getting through and more water is lost then actually gets into the colon. For me, I have found several "causes" for this. Sometimes it's the types of food I've consumed. Sometimes it's the amount of immodium I've used. Sometimes it's mechanical (the turn of the colon at the stoma, kind of kinks off in/output). Sometimes it's a combination of all of them!
Lying down mechanically reduces your hernia, thus "releasing" the kink to allow output to flow more freely. To answer your questions, this tells us that it is mostly gravity/mechanical obstruction that is causing your issues. For me, sometimes when I'm irrigating, I'll lean to my right hand side, which helps to enlarge the opening of the angle to allow water in, and to allow output out.... Yes, it is ok to lie down to allow the movements to occur. No, I don't think that this is a warning sign.
I started irrigating in 2010, with a hernia that had already started. It was large enough to get repaired in 2016. It has since returned. In fairness, I am overweight which complicates the success rates of hernia repairs. That said, I just had a check up with my surgeon last week, and we both agreed that it needs to be repaired and likely moved to a new site. But, his standing recommendations have always been that if it isn't causing pain or blockages, then let it be.... In the future if it causes pain or blockages, then he will go in and attempt another repair.
So, for now, I wear an abdominal binder to help support the hernia and keep everything in place. You can live with a parastomal hernia without any issues. I was literally climbing in and out of tree this weekend as it is deer hunting season here in Arkansas!
Hope that helps some.

David
"Gatoring since 2010"
phozzy

Post by phozzy »

Hey Dave! good to see you are still on here, it's been a few years since I came in, but I am having the very issues you are talking about here and I was becoming concerned, the little lean to the right has been my intuitive way to resolve it, but I was worried that it was a sign of something more. As always ya'll provide all of the answers I'm looking for
Debbie
Temp colo 5/1/10
Colon rupture by Endometreosis
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Hey phozzy! I often wonder where you went. Glad to see you back. Don't be a stranger!
"Gatoring since 2010"
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I check this forum every few days, and each time I find myself singing "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" with weird lyrics.
"A kink in the bowel might be quite detrimental..."
Lee

I am not my disease.