Upcoming reversal...Have mixed feelings??

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Clharris

Upcoming reversal...Have mixed feelings??

Post by Clharris »

Hi everyone, I am new here and I really am grateful to find this forum. Almost two years to the day, I had emergency surgery due to a ruptured colon; I had diverticulitis and had been walking around with a perforated colon for 5 days. Initially had a colostomy after removal of the infected portion, but after several days of intense pain and swelling, it was discovered I had C-diff and was almost fatal. I had 5 surgeries in all, resulting in my entire colon being taken out and was given an illeostomy. After waking up from a week long coma, I discovered not only had my colon been removed, but my left leg had severe nerve damage fromt he surgery and I could not be stitched together because of the c-diff. So I had to wear a wound vac, etc and it took months for the site to heal.

Anyway, two years later...I can walk and even run again (I'll never beat my pre-surgery 40 yard dash time again but thats ok) But I have a huge hernia and am due to have reversal and the hernia repaired in one month.

My dilemma - I have never felt better in my life. The illeostomy does hot bother me in the least, I have learned to accept it and becauee I have no pain or discomfort, I have been in no rush to get rid of it. And because I basically have no colon, I am petrified of what life will be like after reversal. Yes I can take medicines which I take now to stiffen things up, but for the past year I have been considering having the hernia fixed, and keeping my stoma. I have no discomfort, I feel great, life is great and I am really afraid of giving it up, just so I can go "normally". From what I read, life can be painful and difficult afterwards, and after all I have been through I don't think I want to go through it again.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom, advice, who has had a similar experience? If I had a colon or at least some part of it, it would be a no brainer for me. My doctor says I will be fine....But it's my body and I keep having visions of me being tied to home close to a toilet, or wearing diapers on road trips. Am I just having cold feet...OR are these legitimate concerns? Thank you so much in advance.
sassie

Re: Upcoming reversal...Have mixed feelings??

Post by sassie »

Clharris,
Just saw this and sorry there has been no replies, I have almost the same story as you except ,i still have some of my colon"but it does not work ,as it has never made a poo on its own in 18 months.

I have to take milk of mag or irrigate and that's not always successful" and am getting a reversal in sept.

The Dr. wanted to remove whats left of my colon and use the the small intestine and He did say it would be ok that i had enough muscle to hold poop until i reached a bathroom ..

but like you, i was scared ,so i opted for 12 inches of colon to be left hoping i can deal with that, I am prepared to have depends on hand at first until i see what happens but he seems very sure that all will be fine...That the output would be like thick pudding.

He did offer to give me a illeo but followed that with your going to get another hernia..

I already have a HUGE hernia and that is going to be fixed at take down time. not with mesh Dr. said he is going to stitch it closed...

I understand its a huge decision,and being you do not mind your illeo i would be struggling making that decision myself , maybe you need to ask about just getting the hernia fixed beings your ok with how things are, I myself would not go through with this if my colostomy worked, That's where we differ, what colon i have left is useless but 1 foot i can handle even if i have to help it as i do not want anymore surgerys..And if i got another hernia like he said that would mean going back under and i lost 2 weeks before as i get amnesia from anesthesia and it happens every time ,So a 4 to 7 hour surgery its going to happen again and thats scary....

Best of luck with your decision, God Bless,sassie