Post take down surgery complications

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Debbyj

Post take down surgery complications

Post by Debbyj »

Hi I am new to this type of forum. I hope I am doing this right.
I had a take down of colostomy done in Feb 2019. I had a trip to the ER in October 2018 with a ruptured diverticulitis (did not know I had this condition), 8 days later woke up with an ostomy. I am thankful to be alive.
Like so many of you I thought and prayed about the reversal long and hard. I went through with it in Feb 2019. Three days in the hospital I went home with another large incision (but stapled up this time) and no longer pooping through a bag. So fortunate to be able to be reversed!
I have an issue with a little bit of rectal bleeding when I poop. It has slowed down and not as much, and I am taking iron supplements, but was hoping someone else has dealt with this issue. My surgeon has reassured me, BUT we all know how the human brain works sometimes.
My story is long, and journey has been enlightening I am thankful to wake up each day.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
sassie

Re: Post take down surgery complications

Post by sassie »

I was told a small amount, like less then a table spoon was acceptable and being your Doctor also is not worried i would just keep watch and if you see more of a change then you reported be sure to call DR. again.. Best of luck..

sassie
Debbyj

Post by Debbyj »

Thank you so much Sassie. I am finding it seems to be what I eat. I have had two colonoscopies and a scope there seems to be a small sore where I was reconnected. I was told it can take up to a year for everything to settle down. Just very reassuring to hear from someone else who has gone through this too. I am so glad to have found this forum. I pray that everyone gets healed! 😇
sassie

Post by sassie »

Debbyj I'm getting a take down in maybe in another month and so far its all a go ahead, my biggest worry is i will not be able to hold back poop and then will go in my pants .. because there going to make my colon really short and due to diverticulitis i already had alot of colon removed and my stoma does not give output unless i irrigate or take milk of mag and both are starting to not work so well..Are you able to hold poo until you reach a bathroom??? Tons of Questions but in due time i will know As i really do not have a choice , Its either a take down or a ileostomy . So i have to try the reversal or i would always regret i didn't...I'm so happy you posted, it helps to hear from ones that had a reversal and its working and i wish you all Gods best for sure.. big hugs sassie
Debbyj

Post by Debbyj »

Good afternoon! I understand how u are feeling but I had to do the reversal after much prayer and research
I can hold my poo. I do kegle excersises and still do them. My bowels are still a little erratic but mostly good control
I am careful not to eat things that binded me up before all this started. I have avoided dairy but miss cheese. You will be fine please let us know how U do. I will try to check back. God has you. Stay positive walk and be grateful for each day.