Advice - Irrigation Failure after 20 years?

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
VaAnne

Advice - Irrigation Failure after 20 years?

Post by VaAnne »

Hello - I've been a reader of this forum since my colostomy back in 1998, but this is my first time posting! I have very successfully irrigated all these years after the initial period of getting over chemo from my DX of rectal cancer. For most of that time, I've only worn a Hollister stoma cap and have irrigated every morning. Now I am panicked that irrigation has stopped working for me!

I am wondering if anyone here has had a similar situation and can advise me? There are two changes in my medical history lately. Two years ago I had polyps found on my thyroid and had the thyroid removed; no cancer thankfully. I take a thyroid pill every morning. For a while, it was fine and then I started having bouts of diarrhea; the doctor adjusted the dosage and all was well, for a while. Recently the diarrhea came back; the doctor adjusted the dosage down again but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The other change if that I've lost 45 pounds since last fall; an intentional loss using a diet plan. It's a high fiber low fat diet, and I feel fine except for the irrigation problem:
For the last few months, when I irrigate in the morning, most of the time the water goes in and nothing comes out. Then about 12 hours later I get a return and have to put on a pouch because it's high volume but sort of oozes out over a few hours, including overnight. I've tried to irrigate the next morning but can't seem to ever clear out my colon so the same thing happens again later in the day.

I had a colonoscopy two weeks ago and it was fine. I will be seeing my primary care doctor in a week for an annual physical and I wonder if I should get a referral to a gastroenterologist.

Has anyone had to stop irrigating for a while and could you start it up again? Any advice would be welcome! Sorry for this very lengthy post.
sassie

Re: Advice - Irrigation Failure after 20 years?

Post by sassie »

Hi VaAnn, Are you getting hydrated enough, i have had water not come out because of that,Also after i irrigate at times nothing comes till so much later and i found if i laid on the bed it would start draining out in about ten minutes, i had a colonoscopy today and a hernia is part of the cause and other tissues as well, last drink i had was at 8am and it was appx. 1 p.m.before anything started to happen.. looking like a take down may happen in Sept. I'm happy but scared at same time.. Hope others jump in here with a better reply, best of luck to you....

sassie
VaAnne

Post by VaAnne »

Thank you, sassie! I will have to try the lying down trick; hadn't heard of that one! I hope all goes well for you if you do need more repair work done!
Anne
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

The weight loss might be causing your bowels to sit in a different place/angle than they did before, causing a disruption in success. Changing positions during/after irrigation sounds like something to try. Occasionally, i have to lean to my right in order to get output to flow when I’m sitting on the toilet. May have to experiment to find that “sweet” spot for you.
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Maybe try irrigation at night and see if that makes your bowels happy.
Or irrigate twice a day...
Moving around and massaging your belly might help, too.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Mikem

Post by Mikem »

VaAnne,
Congratulations on the weight loss. Wish I had that dedication.
With more experience than most on this forum I suspect a lot of this will be redundant to what you already know. Base on my 13 yrs of experience here, this is some of what I have learned.
The bowel process is constantly changing with age, this is true regardless of if you are a colostomate. Slower, faster or irregular; there are dietary supplements for those to try. Based on a recommendation from this forum, one of the supplements which seems to have helped me is Dandelion Root. For whatever reason while taking it I have the most reliable gator sessions.
Every time I irrigate I guzzle 16+ Oz of water to stimulate peristalsis after the first infusion. This can also be promoted by having breakfast early (or in my case having dinner). As mentioned being well hydrated is critical to irrigation otherwise the colon absorbs the water you infuse.
You did not mention your irrigation procedure, but I am one of those who use multiple infusions (typically 4) to get close to 45 hours clear. Multiple infusions might help.
While I have considered going cold turkey on gatoring for a while to see I can get better results afterwards, I have found I am too psychologically addicted to make that happen.
Your situation seems likely to be related to the change of diet which has changed the way your body absorbs food and eliminates waste. Finding way to manage the peristalsis will be the key to success.
It might be that with the change of diet you do not need to irrigate on the same schedule. Finding and adjusting to a new schedule might be your solutions. That will likely take time and experimentation to find the best solution for you.
Good Luck
MikeM
Colostomy, A/P Feb 2006 for Stage 1 CRC
VaAnne

Post by VaAnne »

Thank you to all the above who posted an answer. We were out of town so I just now saw all your answers.
I am not sure if I have developed IBS; I saw a gastroenterologist last week and he prescribed Cholestyramine Light powder, to be taken in water in the am. He said it could be a problem with bile salts. It hasn't really made any difference so far, I still get discharge at random times and especially during the night. What has helped calm the spasms is taking peppermint oil capsules a few times a day. Once in a while I get a return after irrigating; I do the multiple infusions over the course of an hour or so, in the morning. I guess I could change to nighttime irrigation; it just doesn't seem as convenient. Maybe I have to accept this is a consequence of aging: I will be 72 in December. Running out of patches/stoma caps is a concern since the mail order pharmacy my HMO insists upon has been difficult to work with. I am often using more than the two non-drainables per day that Medicare allows. Sorry to be so negative; I should be and am grateful that I feel very well and can continue my activities in spite of this setback! :)
autodraw

Post by autodraw »

Hello VaAnne (and hello to all you other 'gators, been a while since I last visited, Autodraw here)

I had a similar problem a years ago after successfully irrigating for about 16 years. Normally I would irrigate every other day in the morning and get 24 - 48 hours clear for the effort. For no reason I could see the thing stopped cooperating -- it would fight the water going in, leak clear water during an infusion and just generally not give a good flush out. I'd get maybe half a day clear and then bits or lots until the next irrigation. VERY perplexing and dismaying. Using warmer water helped for a while but not consistently. Nothing was different in my health or diet.

What has seemed to make a difference and don't ask me why, was going to the gym more often and doing abdominal exercises. It does seem strange that ab exercises might make a difference but that is about the time that irrigation became more reliable again. I've been getting 24 - 48 hours pretty consistently again.

I do think as our bodies age, so do our innards so maybe things just become, well, less mobile like the rest of us, lol!! Who knows. The important thing is not to give up. Stay the course, perhaps modify technique here and there but don't give up. Sometimes our guts just need time to come around.

While I'm here, it's good to see some names I recognize from years ago. Hello again! I hope you are all well and living your best lives -- keep up the good work. :)
VaAnne

Post by VaAnne »

Thanks, Autodraw! I remember reading many of your helpful posts years ago when first found this forum!

Your suggestion to try abdominal exercises is one I will try; I did wonder about that but I'm not a lover of exercises, except walking. I saw a gastroenterologist about a month ago; I belong to an HMO and was referred to one of their gastros; I did not have a choice of doctor. To my surprise, he asked me NO questions and seemed to be bored with my brief explanation and plea to help resume my practice of irrigation. He prescribed Cholestyramine Light, a powder to mix with water and drink once a day (this was also called Questran I think.)He said my problem was bile acids. I looked it up and it seems that diarrhea can be a consequence of gall bladder removal, which I haven't had. I'm mystified that this could be the cause of my problems, but I've been taking the powder in the evenings (it interfered with my thryoid RX in the mornings.) It has helped to prevent constant discharge for most of the day but I often have a full BM into my pouch shortly after supper each day. Not great considering I was so lucky with irrigation before. When I have to be out in the evenings, at a meeting or social event, I wear a pouch but feel very stressed about it and worried about leakage or odor. I have continued to irrigate the little bit I can get out each morning, hoping my body may restart itself eventually!
revruss

Post by revruss »

Hey VaAnne,

When I went to a whole food plant based diet (high fiber, low fat) I had a bunch of additional output compared to when I was vegetarian and eating cheese on everything. I've actually had to go to irrigating twice some days and, even then, don't get the results most here do. It could very well be the change in diet is creating this difficulty for you.

Would love to hear if things improve.

Russell
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

How flexible is your schedule? Maybe switch things up.

Some people take thyroid meds at night, then you could take the powder and irrigate in the morning.

Some people irrigate at night--I do. Take the powder, wait 'til you're ready, irrigate, and see how that works for you.
Lee

I am not my disease.
kitmcc

Post by kitmcc »

Hi VaAnne,

Auto's advice reminded me what helps me when I fall into a bad patch. Pilates, especially spinal extensions and shoulder-hip rotations. Gravity has had its way with me, alas, and downward compression definitely affects my digestion ergo irrigations. For me, more mobility equals more motility. (registered trademark). I'll do some spirals during a session as well if things feel stuck. Diet changes also impact, pardon the pun. I suspect you and your body have already or will work it out. Don't stress the bags if you can. I have a stash of Mio soft convex that aren't crinkly or beige-icky. Almost elegant ha ha. It took a while, but I got over it when I have to wear them. The most important thing is not thinking about leaks, I've found. Good luck to you!