Irrigation bathroom design

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
steiconi

Irrigation bathroom design

Post by steiconi »

I need to redo my bathroom and I'd like it to be ostomy/irrigation friendly.

Has anyone done this or dreamed about it? What did/would you add?

I'm thinking...
a comfortable seat next to the toilet--vinyl padded bench, with storage underneath.
a hose for rinsing sleeves and pouches.
I'd love a central floor drain, but that's not in my budget.

What would you like?
Lee

I am not my disease.
ot dave

Re: Irrigation bathroom design

Post by ot dave »

I was irrigating when I built my current home. I didn't do too much in terms of adaptations. We did put two potty rooms in the master bath so that my wife wouldn't have to go elsewhere in the house to use the restroom when I was in there. I have a toilet topper/cabinet over the toilet that stores all of my flanges and equipment. And, I added a decorative hook on the wall to hang my irrigation bag. I know that some folks add a water line attached to the water line coming into the toilet, with a sprayer. I've never felt the need for that in my restroom, but I can definitely see the benefits. I also have a small window, so I have the sill to place things while I'm irrigating, but a shelf built into the wall or on the wall would be useful as well, as I like to have an iPod in there with me while I irrigate. Have fun building/creating.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Mikem

Post by Mikem »

I keep a permanently assembled irrigation set up which includes:
1 gal flash hot water heater w/ ¼” tubing to Irrigation bag mounted at proper height.
Cold water supply of ¼” tubing to same
Both with separate wall mounted shut off valves.
Another coldwater supply for kitchen nozzle also with a shut off valve.
Above all connected to the toilet stopcock through complicated plumbing and attached to the wall.
It would be nice to have the above behind cabinetry but that is the next remodel.
Also a mounted thermometer to monitor temperature.
Since this is a separate private bathroom I get to keep an office chair there.
And a computer with WiFi access.

MikeM
Colostomy, A/P Feb 2006 for Stage 1 CRC
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I still haven't remodeled my bathroom ($%#@!!! Covid), but I installed a bidet sprayer, a ceramic garden stool, and a wall-mounted magazine rack to hold my computer tablet while it plays audio books. All welcome improvements.
Lee

I am not my disease.
BeMac

Post by BeMac »

:) Try to have the sink and toilet next to each other. Mine just so happens to be that way, and it works. When I stand up to begin the flushing of the irrigation sleeve, the sink is close enough so the sleeve end stays in the toilet(I never have to move my feet) I then use the warm tap water to fill the dish soap bottle. Then I rinse away. Sometimes more than once. Then I put the clip on, then the bath robe and I'm off doing house chores and such. BTW, I have a small stool in the bathroom to sit on that I use for the initial water introduction process(15 to 20 mins). The whole process takes about 1 hr 15 mins. Hope this helps
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Get the bidet sprayer, and you won't need the dish soap bottle! about $30 at Home Depot, easy to install.
Lee

I am not my disease.