My Ileostomy Reversal - 4 Days Later...

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
capdood

My Ileostomy Reversal - 4 Days Later...

Post by capdood »

For those considering or waiting on reversal surgery, this is a good news story that should negate many of the negative experiences that tend to stand out online.

My experience was undoubtedly helped by the fact that I am in relatively good shape at 65, and had "only" a stricture of my sigmoid colon to deal with...

After putting off the initial surgery for 9 years, I finally had had enough of my cramps and pain -- and being a prisoner to my condition.

So I went for a sigmoidectomy on Aug. 2nd... hoping along with my Doctor that I could avoid a bag entirely.

When I awoke from surgery, unfortunately, I had a bag and was told that I had much more compromised colon than hoped for... and that I couldn't avoid the appliance -- at least temporarily.

While I was told that my reversal could take place as soon as 6 weeks, it actually took 11 for all the tests and scheduling to finalize.

Reversal surgery took place late last Thursday afternoon... and I was on a liquid diet on Friday.

I was given a full diet on Saturday -- eggs and sausage for breakfast, lasagna with meat sauce for lunch.

I had a few small bowl movement Saturday morning -- and was discharged at 3:30 PM on Saturday afternoon... just about 48 hours after the actual surgery.

Pain was very tolerable at the hospital... and the same is true now that I'm home.

I have continued on a mostly normal diet with no real issues except some explosive gas and occasional "uncomfortableness" as my system springs back to life.

After bowl movements on Saturday, I've had nothing but gas today... and have taken the stool softeners that I was sent home with.

My pain has reached a level where I won't need to finish the prescription pain meds -- and where I can substitute over-the-counter meds which I'm happy to do.

I hope I'm not jinxing my recovery by touting how well it's going, but I'm feeling remarkably well and optimistic about what's to come.

Hope this posting is helpful!
amosc

Re: My Ileostomy Reversal - 4 Days Later...

Post by amosc »

Thank you for this as I am about to have my reversal surgery in 7 days!
jsjkubota

Re: My Ileostomy Reversal - 4 Days Later...

Post by jsjkubota »

Thank you for posting this I had mine on 11-8-19 I know what you are going thru . I was in the hospital 2 1/2 days . They told me I could go home on saturday morning I told them no that I have had so many complication since I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer with my ostomy , chemo , and a PE I was not going home. So I stayed , the bath room trips started saturday morning and haven't stopped since have slowed down. Pain is way down I'am working on my food intake to to get back to normal I know it just take baby steps . Prays and best wishes in your recovery