Clothing issue

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
haroldfred

Clothing issue

Post by haroldfred »

I need some suggestions. I have a urostomy bag and also colostomy bag (because of a medical mistake during surgery) and I also have to wear a hernia belt. I am unable to wear any of my presurgery slacks because of my scar, the location of the 2 stomas and the hernia. I have been pretty much living in sweatpants which I have to hike up over my appliances since the beginning of the year. I would like to find some all elastic waist slacks so I can looked a little more dressed up when I go to church or out to dinner but they are hard to find. I sure would appreciate any of your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
texazgal

Re: Clothing issue

Post by texazgal »

Guessing you are a guy from your username. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll have much luck finding guy slacks with elastic waists. It might be expensive, but wondering if you could find a seamstress who could make you some?
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

I have several dress/khaki pants that have elastic waists. They are great for being expandable enough to also wear my abdominal binder for my hernia. Amazon has a lot of expandable waist pants, as do a lot of the major retailers. They are pretty common. I do however, wear them with suspenders as my waist does little to hold up any pair of pants! But there are some available. A simple internet search will lead you to all kinds...

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I also wear expandable waist slacks. You can find them at the major department stores like Belks etc. They are made by Hagar, Farah, and many of the other companies. they have an expandable panel on the sides similar to how rental tuxedo pants are made.

Ask any clerk and they should be able to direct you.

Jim
LarryW

Post by LarryW »

I have a urostomy, so not exactly the same, but all my pre-surgery pants either land right on the coupling or just below it, so my only choice was to let the bag outside of my pants and wear long shirts to cover it. I have now been in the process of a wardrobe change. I'm getting slacks and Jean's that are a little loose in the waist and using suspenders. It has worked great and it allows me to wear slacks and jeans that look good and I can either tuck my shirts in or wear the suspenders inside my shirt for a more casual look and feel. They make tons of different colored suspenders and lots of them with matching ties.
NewbieUro

Post by NewbieUro »

Someone who sews may be able to add an elastic piece at the side seams that will expand a normal size pair of pants. I'm female and I bought a pair of maternity jeans with that feature. When I looked at it closely, I realized that I -- or someone who sews -- could probably do that to a pair of my other pants. I looked on YouTube and found a video of how to do it. Someone who sews can search there for "add elastic to waist". Here's one example I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpJrPpTw8bQ&t=3s

I haven't tried it yet, though.
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

Joseph A Bank traveler pants may be what you want if you're still looking