Low Bowel Motility

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
autodraw

Low Bowel Motility

Post by autodraw »

Hello You Gators!!
Autodraw here, checking in to say all goes well with me. Lots of travel, more wrinkles, rather a lot of wine, and irrigation working very well. (Had a period of orneriness for a while there but the stoma seems to have straightened up is flying right again.)

So, my dear group, I have a question on behalf of a new patient up here. Female, with a history of very low bowel motility, new colostomy (about 2 months) that still requires laxatives to get going. She has tried irrigation twice with not much success. As we all know it can be discouraging when the damn thing won't cooperate and I don't want her to give up prematurely. I've coached her to gradually use more water and keep trying.

What are your best tips for this issue?

A very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays etc to everyone and GOOD HEALTH in 2020!
darick

Re: Low Bowel Motility

Post by darick »

Two months is still very new, and the body is still healing, so it will take some time to settle into it.

As healing continues, and pain goes away, I would suggest some stretch and massaging also. I irrigate every few days, and found during that process, I massage my gut along the way to help move things around and get stuff flowing.

How is diet? Getting a lot of fiber?
Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-