Continent diversion and colostomy irrigation

For discussion of intestinal and urinary diversions that avoid wearing an external waste collecting device.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, Lynne

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
kitmcc

Continent diversion and colostomy irrigation

Post by kitmcc »

Hello everyone, I've participated on Irrigation board and received so much great help there over the 17 years I have had a colostomy. Now, I'm turning to this board seeking your experience.

I'm going to have surgery for an early cervical cancer, and due to previous colorectal treatment, there is a chance I may lose my bladder. My question is: does anyone have both a colostomy that they irrigate AND a continent cutaneous diversion? My surgeon suggested that with the intestine used to form the reservoir, the stool could become softer and looser. (It sped by me a bit, but I believe he said mostly small bowel but some colon -- you might be able to shed light on this too.)

For an irrigator who can get by with patches and even a small bandaid versus appliances, this is red alert. It would prevent me from successfully irrigating, as I've done since 3 months after my original surgery.

My gyn surgeon said that medication could slow/thicken stool in the short term, and the colon would adapt. The WO nurse had never had a patient ask this question or desire to irrigate after a continent urinary diversion. And we're talking Memorial Sloan Kettering here. I'm hoping someone here can shed light, and I can also relay any insight MSKCC.

Thanks!!
NitaET

Re: Continent diversion and colostomy irrigation

Post by NitaET »

Hi, I am a WOCN ... sorry no one got back to you ... did you have your surgery? An Indiana Pouch as they call it or a NeoBladder are huge surgeries ... I don't imagine that you would even be a candidate for this type of surgery being that you have a colostomy too.... There are many people living good lives with a 2 stomas - "Double Baggers" is a sort of coined term - said with affection ...
Anita Prinz, RN, MSN, CWOCN
kitmcc

Re: Continent diversion and colostomy irrigation

Post by kitmcc »

Fast forward, Nita - all went perfectly. Cancer gone, no additional treatment, bladder intact, life as a non-bagger is good. Interesting to be in a hospital at the start of the pandemic and recuperate in lockdown. Eliminated all FOMO!