Jan 2020 reversal

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
David

Jan 2020 reversal

Post by David »

Take-down notes to discussion board

The only actual article I read post op was one on massage therapy and a naturalistic product which supposedly lessens scar tissue growth. This may seem backwards, even stupid, but if I had read any more I probably would have second guessed my take-down surgery.

But, I am a more optimistic person and even after going almost 2 years had the reversal. I was very active prior to my first emergency surgery, for a bowel obstruction, with 3 part-time jobs and exercising almost 2 hours daily and in great shape? On my second surgery my wife was told I would probably not live through it, had a bout with sepsis 6 months later, and then after another 6 mos endured a 11 ½ hour reversal surgery. I was ready to get active again and regain my exercising, I know at 75, then I received the news that the plastic surgeon could not get all my top ab muscles back together and I had to be fitted with a 3 ½ by 4 ½ bio-mesh product. I now cannot lift more than 20 lbs for a year and continue to wear a elastic full chest binder for at least another 3 months. This won't stop me from living life as much as I can!

I got through the surgery Jan 2020 and after 5 days was home, no skilled nursing, just home health with drains, and cleaning a suture line. Lots of diarrhea in hospital and this is where my assistance to those going through this procedure begins. Make sure, at this point 2 things happen; you are provided with butt cream and have the dietary department spell out what you can and cannot eat just like the ostomy. What will thicken you up correctly, not causing constipation. I am now going into my 4th month and luckily things have been progressing finally through all the diarrhea but horrible diaper rash problems. Remember the butt paste? I suggest, with physican approval, implementing its use in the hospital I also started wearing attends and kept a pad on bed.

There is a Pittsburgh Butt Paste(needs prescription), I got Boudreaux's Butt Paste, but after I was diagnosis with a fungal infection I had to make this mixture myself, one equal portion of Boudreaux's Butt Paste, one equal portion Maximum strength Cortizone 10 1 % hydrocorisoneanti-itch, one equal portion clotrimazole cream( fungal cream) USP, 1%, and Maalox and stir to make a paste. I also was prescribed an oral anti-fungal medication. It is taking close to a month to heal. I also added the dermatologists skin dream, Vaseline, around my butt. I was informed by my PCP that my butt looked like I had road rash. I always applied cream with a glove but I will relay an additional tip I was given; make sure to gently work the paste into the skin. Additionally, I was told by my PCP to take daily shower and get naked for an hour to air things out. So I wrapped myself with a bathrobe and did things that only required standing. Folded wash and ironed, wife likes that.

Then remember the dietitian aspect? Well not done yet, I needed to be placed on a low fat diet and no caffeine products. I am a veteran and the VA dietitian was great with helping with a list of do's and dont's. Additionally, I experienced the diarrhea and unbelievable gas! My Wife was ready to leave me! It's great we have 5 bedroom Victorian at this point! I tried the Beano with alpha-galactosiase enzyme was waste of time for me. Used Gas-x with simethicone 125mg and I became a new person. Did not say gas-less but much improved and it assisted like the Imodium with bulking up stool. Can take 4 per day.

Additionally, I found that pill form Imodium, for me, worked much better than liquid and you can take 8 per day. It really changed things for me.

Remember the dietitian? Found out that the diarrhea is caused by the acid and salt combo found in the digestion process when the liver produces bile via the common bile duct in concert with the gall bladder and stomach into the intestines and this bile is normally reabsorbed again the intestines. I have ½ of my large intestine due diverticulitis surgery over 20 years ago, and now alittle less of my small intestine. Guess what does not get reabsorbed due to this shortage? Bile! Additionally, there is information on www.healthline.com that will inform you about what is potentially going on with the color of your poop. Yellow poop could indicate bile malabsorption, as well as, I am sure other things. So my surgeon and PCP have ordered for one week ½ packet of cholestyramine and then a full packet after that depending on no constipation. It started taking the burning away in concert with the butt paste. There are some other medications for this process which your healthcare providers may like better, if indicated.

I was so saddened by the difficult challenges I read that others have endured and it looked like there were few answers. I actually cried after reading some of the comments. In your case maybe none of what was done for me will work. Always follow your surgeon's and/or PCP's orders and always follow all recommended packaging directions on prescribed or OTC medications.

The good news, if I can take a leap of faith over this final chapter, I can return to work in the latter part of June 2020. Yeah! After a journey that almost cost my life twice, actually on my birthday, since November 2018.
sassie

Re: Jan 2020 reversal

Post by sassie »

Very Good read.....Thank You David....Sassie.
David

Post by David »

Thank you for your kindness. I did re-read my post and wanted to make sure that the bile does work with digesting fat. I assumed that people would know that if I was placed on a low fat diet. But just wanted to be sure.

Again, thank you for you kind words.

David
Sunnycd

Post by Sunnycd »

Thank you! These tips are very helpful as I am preparing for my reversal.