delayed emptying, abdominal pain, and sweating following irrigation

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Don60

delayed emptying, abdominal pain, and sweating following irrigation

Post by Don60 »

After 10 years of usually reliable every-other-day irrigation, yesterday I had a totally unexpected response. Following the usual 1500 ml input there was no return for the first 15 minutes, then slow response to the end of the first hour. (Usually I am done within 20 minutes.) This was accompanied by abdominal cramping and sweating as well as nausea and vomiting. I was washed-out for the rest of the day but without fever or significant pain. Today I feel normal.
I had been well before starting irrigation, and the only unusual factor was being 3 days post-knee arthroscopy. Irrigation on the first post-op day went well, but I had been much less active than usual since the surgery.
I have never experienced this before and hope to never again. Have any of you had similar experiences?
Colostomy 2009
steiconi

Re: delayed emptying, abdominal pain, and sweating following irrigation

Post by steiconi »

Is there a chance you had food poisoning or a virus (not *the virus*)?

Cramping, nausea, and vomiting can be signs of a blockage, and go away once it has passed. Did you eat something that might stop you up?

Oh, you had surgery. Taking opioids? They can be constipating. Or perhaps drugs given during surgery, or dehydration.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Don60

Post by Don60 »

A viral illness is possible, but this started with delayed emptying, a first for me. No unusual foods and no new medications.
Colostomy 2009
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Has this continued, or are you back to normal?
Lee

I am not my disease.
Don60

Post by Don60 »

I did not irrigate for several days then today was able to do so normally.
Colostomy 2009