BCIR Update

For discussion of intestinal and urinary diversions that avoid wearing an external waste collecting device.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, Lynne

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
BillV

BCIR Update

Post by BillV »

I take this opportunity to update my December, 2019 post in this thread. This year has been very challenging for those needing surgical treatment for their BCIR pouches and those desiring to get a BCIR. Fortunately, Dr. Don Schiller in California has helped many patients as well as a number of K pouch surgeons. As I referred to in my post, there still remains prospects of establishing a new BCIR Program in Florida with Dr. Rehnke. Only time will tell if that will actually happen.

The Quality Life Association (QLA) has been a strong supporter of the BCIR procedure and other continent ostomy procedures for many years. QLA has held an annual conference each year in late summer. This year’s conference was cancelled due to the COVID virus. In its place, QLA produced a virtual conference that is just over 2 hours long. This conference contains very informative presentations by Dr. Rehnke, Dr. Schiller and other doctors involved with continent ileostomies. It can be accessed through the QLA website (www.qla-ostomy.org) under the Conferences tab. There are instructions and a registration form. A modest contribution is requested and one can also order a CD of the conference. Since QLA relies on contributions to cover its operating expenses, I encourage you to make the largest contribution that you are comfortable with. Membership in QLA is only $25 for an annual individual membership and $35 for a family membership.