Tips to get more water in?

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
sinewaves

Tips to get more water in?

Post by sinewaves »

Hi everyone,

I just started irrigation for my colostomy last week, and following the MSK guide to it, which recommends working your way up to 1L of water. However, I'm finding that once i hit around 500ml, the flow from the bag slows to trickle and no matter how much I wiggle the cone or try to angle it, nothing more wants to get in.

I am also still getting output in the mornings (I irrigate in the evening about an hour after dinner), so I know there's more in there and guessing I'm not getting all the liquid in to flush everything out.

Any tips for getting more water in? Does leaning your body different ways help? Standing vs. sitting? Thanks in advance!
ot dave

Re: Tips to get more water in?

Post by ot dave »

When I have issues getting water to go in, I try sitting in different angles. Sometimes I have to lean to my right, sometimes I have to lean back, etc. Occasionally, it'll take me a session or two to figure out which way is going to work for that period of time. To complicate things, I have a hernia, so it changes on me every few weeks!
Output in the morning is likely going to be your dinner. An hour after dinner probably isn't enough for the food to make it's way down the colon by then. Generally speaking, it takes 6-8 hours for food to pass from stomach/small intestine to the colon.
I tried standing one time....that was messy!
I also like to use really WARM water. If I can stand the temperature on the back of my hand, I use it....warmer temperatures dilate, colder temperatures constrict. An added bonus of warmer water is that it helps to soften the output as well, making it easier to expel.
Keep experimenting with it, you'll find a "groove" that works for you. I like to irrigate in the mornings as I know that everything I've eaten the day before is ready to leave the next morning. But irrigating at night is fine too, if it fits your schedule better.

Hope this helped some.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

When you're full, stop, let it drain, then infuse more.

I've always irrigated before bed, but many seem to prefer mornings. Your body may be expressing an opinion.
Lee

I am not my disease.
darick

Post by darick »

I massage my belly while infusing to help move things around. Warm water also; colder will shock the system.

Can you raise the bag higher up for more help from gravity?
Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-