Hydrocolloid dressing for stoma?

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
kitmcc

Hydrocolloid dressing for stoma?

Post by kitmcc »

Hi irrigants,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this idea for a stoma patch? Medline MSC5522 Exuderm Odorshield Hydrocolloid, 2" x 2". I'm a minimalist currently using an Ampatch with a carbon filter, and sometimes just a Nexcare elbow bandage since it perfectly matches my skin.I like the idea of some odor control, though I suspect it won't really handle smelly gas.

If I don't hear back, I'll experiment and post back.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Kit
irrigating since 2003
ot dave

Re: Hydrocolloid dressing for stoma?

Post by ot dave »

Personally, I have not tried any of the small coverings. I still where a pouch when I finish irrigating. I don't/can't trust my system that much. Though my irrigations are typically effective, there are some things that will set it off during the day....plus, the anxiety of having no "back up" would probably drive me insane! Also, the flange I use allows me to interchange between irrigation sleeve, drainable pouch, and a closed mini-pouch that I like to sleep in, so I continue on with the flange use. I hope your experiments lead you to success.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Mikem

Re: Hydrocolloid dressing for stoma?

Post by Mikem »

My minimalist patch is 4 inches of 3" micropore tape with 2 sections of TP folded into quarters. I used this extensively for several years. I would experiment with various charcoal filters but generally did not bother. I still occasionally use that between flange changes in low risk situation such as Covid house arrest.

I still have boxes of the 3" bandages I used before finding the micropore tape option.

Aging has made my once reliable 48 hr schedule more haphazard so I often have a flange on with tape covering on day 1 and a mini-pouch on day 2. Most times the mini-pouch is clean on day 2. I now typically irrigate 3 times a week in the evenings (Sun, Tues, and Thurs). On day 3 the mini-pouch is typically replaced with a full sized pouch and liner but occasionally gets me through the day.

The drawback is my multi (x4) infusions sessions are never less than 2 hours with a little walkaround time before the last infusion.

MikeM
Colostomy, A/P Feb 2006 for Stage 1 CRC