Difficulty with Kock pouch catheter insertion

For discussion of intestinal and urinary diversions that avoid wearing an external waste collecting device.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, Lynne

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
mlangbau

Difficulty with Kock pouch catheter insertion

Post by mlangbau »

I have had my Kock pouch since 1987 with absolutely no problems. About 1 month ago, instead of the catheter passing quickly into the pouch, I now put the catheter in and it comes to a stop until the opening feels like it relaxes and opens up. It is almost as if the opening is closed down until it relaxes and gives way to let the catheter enter. There is no searching for the opening and the entrance to the pouch does not appear to have moved. I had the pouch scoped by a doc who has worked extensively with Kock Pouches and he could find no issues with anatomy or slippage.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Thanks
cbyrnes_esq

Re: Difficulty with Kock pouch catheter insertion

Post by cbyrnes_esq »

I've had that issue from the beginning (which was just about 6 weeks ago). In the hospital, it slid right in, but since then, I need to push sometimes harder than others. Maybe it went in easily in the hospital because I was on pain meds. Beats me, but it's not been a problem other than some minor discomfort. Good luck!
mlangbau

Post by mlangbau »

Where did you have your Kock pouch done. Did not think many docs doing them anymore!
BillV

Post by BillV »

The problem of catheter insertion is experienced at one time or another by most people with Kock pouches and BCIR’s. The ESSENTIAL thing to keep in mind is to never try to force the catheter in. Such action can damage the valve to the point where there is continual leakage, which usually requires valve reconstruction surgery. Relax and try different positions when this problem occurs. There are two very active private Facebook groups where this complication and others are discussed. Search under Facebook for “BCIR and related continent pouches” and “Kock & BCIR Continent Pouchers United” and request admission as a member. You will need to answer three simple membership questions.
HEAVENLYHANAINN

Post by HEAVENLYHANAINN »

Yes I have the same problem. Although I have a hernia next to my stoma. I take pain meds and muscle relaxer. It does help somewhat. I have to lay on the floor to get the catheter in. Difficult when you are not at home. I will have surgery on the hernia on the 13th. Hope this solves the problem. Take care